• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Upgrading tyres on ep3 facelift model

Hi guys am looking to upgrade my tyres on my ep3 05 plate currently on oem wheels can you reccommend me any decent tyres with low noise level and good performance and also which size would be good as its still on oem ride height as well

What's the budget?

Premium tyres (best) are circa ££120 a corner.

Mid range around £80 per corner

And don't go there with budget.... Unless you want find a hedge / Ditch / wall.

My personal favourites are the continental contact sport 5

The Goodyear F1 assm 2s are also highly rated.

I've got Continental SportContact 5 215/45/17 on my ep3 and they are magnificent! Dry grip is very good and wet grip is amazing, never had tires that perform this good in wet conditions.
In the wet full throttle there is no wheelspin (normal launch), with my previous tires it would spin up to 60mph.

To be honest unless your going to be going round corners at 50mph on your local track then budgets are fine. You wont notice the difference between a set of 50 quid tires vs a set of 160 quid tire.
And bet they last longer too!

Unless you come to stop sharply, set off from a standstill with any gusto or drive in the rain I might have agreed with you.

To be honest unless your going to be going round corners at 50mph on your local track then budgets are fine. You wont notice the difference between a set of 50 quid tires vs a set of 160 quid tire.

Are you for real?
No grip at even low revs, constant wheel spin, no traction, not to mention the fact you have NO grip under braking.

It's really an item of safety - don't skimp.

When I first got my car it had budgets on the front and all it done was understeer! got falkens for the front put the budgets on the back and then the back end went out all the time at low speed! now I have just bought 4 goodyear eagles f1s and all my problems have gone, I would highly recommend them they are superb.

This is just completely wrong, budgets fail in every department and you will notice the difference even at moderate speeds. My STI came with budgets that had at least half tread left, I was going to leave them on for a while to try get my moneys worth but they were so bad and unpredictable I had a new set of Federals ordered by the end of the week. My fiesta from a few years ago went from T1-R's to budgets as I was selling it and it went from being a fun throwable car to a downright danger near the limit. Budget tyres have no predictability, you can go through a corner under the same conditions twice and the tyres will react differently each time, thats just dangerous to go into a corner and not know what the car will do.

If you are prepared to buy a GruppeM, Mugen Twinloop and RBC then why cant you buy decent tyres? Tyres make the biggest difference out of any single mod you can do to the car.

So true! Decent tyres are on of the best upgrades. Budgets spin till 3rd, understuur like crazy and when they dont, they oversteer.

Buy some good tyres and you can use your car like it was supposed to!

I've had a fair range of tyres on my civics. The best by far are the Goodyear eagles I have at the moment.

Budgets are generally awful in every way on a performance car. I will never put budgets on another car. Lets not forget that it's a matter of safety, good tyres will significantly decrease your stopping distance particularity in bad conditions.

Idiot.

I think the OP now has an informed opinion. However I think Craiguk86's comments have raised a few opinions. Even the Mods have had something to say about "budget" tyres.

Craiguk86. Are you a penny pincher? Change up gears at 1500rpm? Don't like using the potential of a performance car with 200+ BHP?
Would like to understand your rational? I'm a little baffled to say.

OP - moral here is : buy some good tyres.

I wouldn't never put on my car anything what is called budget tyres...When we are bought the CTR,CTR has come with some Chinese tyres Linglong,those tyres are worst what we are tried,we are got spin in 4th in dry weather,in wet at 60mph braking has been poor.

After much deciding we are went with our preferred tyres Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta,we are used them on our previous cars like our Subaru WRX Wagon which has run 555.5bhp and we are used them too on track or drag strip with good success,those tyres have great grip in wet or dry and on track performed great too

From cheaper makers i would have look on new FK453 Falken,I've them used on the Subaru too and they're been OK,but not so good as Vredestein,ContiSport 5 has been too OK,but after we are good two punctures after quick succession I hate them,plus in dry they're performed bit worse than we are thought o(main issue has been in dry traction on our old car)

GoodYear F1,they're seems OK and most people what i know they like them,Kumho Ecsta we are tried too,which has been just OK,biggest issue has been wet grip or wet braking,in dry they're been just OK

But as above I would stay clear from budget tyres on any performance car,simply is not worth it,spend rather once like twice after time

Thanks,Jura

Please don't buy budget tyres!
Take it from someone who works in the business. I hate seeing people come in and put the cheapest crap they can on their car, because they only have their partner in the front and kids in the back and drive in all weather conditions along all roads at speeds up to 70-90mph.... at the end of the day its your tyres that are your point of contact with the road and keep you on it. Brakes and tyres should never be scrimped on. Now I'm not saying buy the very top brands because once you start getting into actual reputable makes its more a choice of personal opinions as they will mostly all perform and last to a similar standard. But the budget tyres that are from an unheard company with an unheard brand... you WILL notice the difference.
Not only will you lack grip in all conditions and on all surfaces and suffer from a greatly reduced tyre life-span due to how quickly they will wear but they are so much more prone to being faulty or developing faults (such as going out of shape).
Seriously.. I would rather buy some part worn branded tyres than budgets and I F**KING HATE PART WORNS because they are such a waste of money and time!!

So.. Yeah.. ultimately it comes down to how much you value your car / life / peoples life who are in your car.

Seems strange that people have no problem spending £2000 on the new 3D smart TV that they want but can't put the money into what gets them to their job every day..?!

Back