• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

URGENT HELP NEEDED!

For a while now on my 2002 Civic Type R I have had a knocking noise behind steering wheel which has become very loud and also the car itself is vibrating (imagine a helicopter right above the car and thats what it sound and feels like).

I've looked & looked at previous forums and just got the bushings changed and picked it up...well now its worse and i'm at a loss.

The knocking is now constant behind wheel whereas before it was only when turning corners and only after 40mph.

Also none of this happens until about at least 5 mins of driving the car, then it kicks in...strange.

Will speak AGAIN to local mechanic tomorrow. He reckons it could've been bushings or the caliper itself as it could be maybe bending the disc (grooved & drilled).

Tried to explain as much as i could there so any help or experience would be great.

For a while now on my 2002 Civic Type R I have had a knocking noise behind steering wheel which has become very loud and also the car itself is vibrating (imagine a helicopter right above the car and thats what it sound and feels like).

I've looked & looked at previous forums and just got the bushings changed and picked it up...well now its worse and i'm at a loss.

The knocking is now constant behind wheel whereas before it was only when turning corners and only after 40mph.

Also none of this happens until about at least 5 mins of driving the car, then it kicks in...strange.

Will speak AGAIN to local mechanic tomorrow. He reckons it could've been bushings or the caliper itself as it could be maybe bending the disc (grooved & drilled).

Tried to explain as much as i could there so any help or experience would be great.

The last time I experienced that kind of noise, it was due to the disks being worn and the pads were vibrating like hell. It did feel like something was about to be left in the road behind me.
Does it change at all when you apply the breaks?
Also had a caliper binding but that just caused vibrations through the floor rather than any noise.

The discs are around 4 years old so i would have thought they were grand but it could be the issue, but where would the actual knocking come from then? Definitely feels like car is about to collapse at any point & fear driving it now to work. It left a strong smell today after a few mins of burning hot rubber or something.

Thing is i'm selling it in a few weeks too. Just wish the Mechanic could look at it & say...HERE IS YOUR PROBLEM.

The discs are around 4 years old so i would have thought they were grand but it could be the issue, but where would the actual knocking come from then? Definitely feels like car is about to collapse at any point & fear driving it now to work. It left a strong smell today after a few mins of burning hot rubber or something.

Thing is i'm selling it in a few weeks too. Just wish the Mechanic could look at it & say...HERE IS YOUR PROBLEM.

If the disks are worn to the point that there is a definite lip around the edges (can be felt with your nail) then the pads can get "dragged" about when driving normally, and can sound dreadful.
The fact your getting strong smells may point more to a binding caliper although I wouldn't expect it to smell like rubber.
To check for a binding caliper, see if the disk is excessively hot when you stop.
BE CAREFUL THOUGH, don't touch directly, just hold your hand close to it to check.

Check the drop links, they can commonly cause knocking if they are away. Perhaps examine the bolts holding the calipers and sliders to check they are not loose.

If the disks are worn to the point that there is a definite lip around the edges (can be felt with your nail) then the pads can get "dragged" about when driving normally, and can sound dreadful.
The fact your getting strong smells may point more to a binding caliper although I wouldn't expect it to smell like rubber.
To check for a binding caliper, see if the disk is excessively hot when you stop.
BE CAREFUL THOUGH, don't touch directly, just hold your hand close to it to check.

Have left it back to mechanic's garage tonight for him in morning. There was a bit of a lip on disc, so maybe just a new driver side disc & caliper may do trick. As mentioned before, he said there was an issue with caliper too so here's hoping. Just hate spending money before i sell it but it needs done.

Will get him to check drop links too ND1989, which i'm sure he has already but sure another look wont do any harm. :(

Does it change at all when you apply the breaks?
Also had a caliper binding but that just caused vibrations through the floor rather than any noise.

Forgot to say that when i apply the brakes that the knocking behind steering wheel/dash gets really heavier.

Are you getting any vibrating feedback from the brake pedal? Is the feedback aggressive through the steering wheel or is it just a noise?

I'd look at warped discs, Buckled alloy, or a flat spot on the tyre if the car was sitting up for a long period of time.

I'd look at warped discs, Buckled alloy, or a flat spot on the tyre if the car was sitting up for a long period of time.

So....told the mechanic to take it for a spin at 60mph to he see's for himself & he says its definitely a warped disc & the caliper is gone because of that. More feckin money to pay out for that but at lest that will be it fixed...hopefully :eek: ...Thanks folks for your help.

Back