• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

URGENT - please look!

Sorry i know this is prob in the wrong section but i need help asap.

I fitted my AEM cai late this afternoon and while tryin to pull the standard smaller breather hose off of the nipple the plastic actually snapped leaving a hole in the plastic and the nipple still in the end of the hose.
I went ahead and fitted everything and have actually super glued the plastic nipple back on and carefully attached the new hose.

I don't expect the glue is going to hold this for long, so my question is can this piece be replaced and if i was driving and it did come unstuck what would happen??

ENGINE008-vi.jpg

Need to sort this tomorrow hopefully cos i have a couple hour drive to do tomorrow evening.

Any help is much appreciated.

In this pic see where the bottom left bolt is for the air filter box, its just to the left of that. Right on the bottom right hand cornerof the red of the engine.

ENGINE6-vi.jpg

Isn't that the bit that rossyt broke on his and his dealer wanted something like £100 for a new one??

I hope it aint £100 quid, its only a bit of plastic after all.

What would happen if it broke while i was driving? Would the car just cut out or damage the engine or anything?

Neily03 said:
Isn't that the bit that rossyt broke on his and his dealer wanted something like £100 for a new one??

Yep thats the one. I did the same thing :x

Luckly i managed to salvage it and stick it back with superglue and some tape seems to be holding fine. fingers crossed

I think if it needs replacing it's the whole bit, not just the plastic thing.

You reckon i should just leave it glued then??
Might put another layer of glue around the break and maybe some tape too.

Whats the best very strong tape thats gonna hold it in place??

I really dont know how you can break this bit when fitting the AEM but maybe thats just me :p

Hi Kev, nice to meet you last night.

I would get some Araldite (2 tubes in packet - mix equal amounts of each) and wrap the pipe with some scrim tape soaked in araldite (used for plasterboard joints). It will never come undone after that.

Let me know what you think to the exhaust when it's on :wink:

Tim

Sweepuk said:
Hi Kev, nice to meet you last night.

I would get some Araldite (2 tubes in packet - mix equal amounts of each) and wrap the pipe with some scrim tape soaked in araldite (used for plasterboard joints). It will never come undone after that.

Let me know what you think to the exhaust when it's on :wink:

Tim

That's what I was gonna say, Araldite is the dogs danglies, superglue is too brittle.

Where will i get some of this Araldite stuff then cos i've never heard of it??

Cheers
Kev

Only problem is when you araldite it it will never ever never come off again thats for sure, so if you change anything and need to take that bit off, you will need to break it to get it off

Tarticus said:
Where will i get some of this Araldite stuff then cos i've never heard of it??

Cheers
Kev

Only problem is when you araldite it it will never ever never come off again thats for sure, so if you change anything and need to take that bit off, you will need to break it to get it off

No point in doing a repair that comes apart easy - Tarticus! :lol:

Araldite is fantastic stuff, I always have a couple of tubes in the garage, it mends everything, is super strong and remains slightly flexible.

You can buy it anywhere (DIY shops, Wilko's) it's a 2 tube pack a Red tube and a White tube, resin based epoxy adhesive.

Years ago we used to use araldite to bond balsa wood crank shaft weights in our kart racing engines, Ikid you not. Might melt plastic thou?

P Reddy said:
Years ago we used to use araldite to bond balsa wood crank shaft weights in our kart racing engines, Ikid you not. Might melt plastic thou?

It'safe on plastics mate - no worries.

Back