• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Useful sat nav security advice

Mossy

Loves his re-re-reposts
OK, it's the wrong section, but I bet it's useful to several of you...

Was watching "The Real Hustle" last night, and they pointed out something that i'd never thought of before: :oops:

Don't program in your home address into your Sat Nav System :smt018 :smt018 :smt018

Think about it - if you're unfortunate to be broken into, there is a high possibility they will check all likely places for Sat Nav (especially if they find the bracket / tell tale rings on your windscreen).

Irrespective of whether you leave your housekeys in (I'm sure some people do at times), it's V easy to operate TOMTOM etc. to find where you live :shock: . Assuming your car isn't broken into when your car is on your drive, they will also know that you are not at home... :shock:

Much better to just have your town/city centre as your home location - if you can't get to your house from there, then you should really think about giving up driving.

(After people have had the chance to read this, can it be added to the secruity sticky)

Or don't leave your sat Nav in the car in the first place.

If you brough one of those older skool triangle shaped TomToms, tough t1tty cos that ain't gonna fit in your pocket.

i'd borrowed a TT1 from my mate recently and he's programmed his home address into it :?

i'll past this on to him

And wipe the 'ring' marks off your windscreen too - people look for those because they know something will almost certainly be in the glovebox.

Surprised this got moved after 90(ish) views & 4 replies... (esp as 10 of those views are mine seeking re-assurance it wasn't just me with my home location in SCOTT-SCOTT)

oh well - when your house gets burgled (because you're busy purchasing new plates from ikea) don't come crying to me...

if you come home, let me finish the meal i've cooked from your food, and let me remove your 10,000' LCD TV before you tell anyone!

Thanks Mossy for pointing out something I never thought of..

I have a built in sat nav and was stupid I programed my address in it..

i've now changed it to the local Police Station :lol:

Salem said:
i've now changed it to the local Police Station :lol:

:lol: :lol: nice one

yeah i luckily havent got round to programming anyones adress in so its all good

Back