• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

v power etc.

i hear there was another test on the super fuels and came back that they were not doing anything for power like they claim. Only thing they did was prolong the life of your engine and then at the end of the report they add in the little part of they might work better in high performance engines.
they must of been using a mondeo or focus but it was done by that which magazine.

just thought i would mention it as i know most of you swear by the v power etc.

cheers

I'm fairly sure I have to use supper unleaded at least now, as I'm under the impression that the Teg's are fitted with knock sensors.

I'm fairly sure I have to use supper unleaded at least now, as I'm under the impression that the Teg's are fitted with knock sensors.

The DC5 OEM ECU is mapped for 100RON mate. Most modern engines have knock sensors.

Interesting, I have always used Vpower/Optimax, I would feel super mugged off if it was only a placebo.

At the same time it would'nt suprise me either.

ive always found that v power has better throttle response that normal shell unleaded, this was even on my smart car running 100bhp

These fuels do make a difference. Of course it depends on the car.

My Clio172 was re-mapped and they run best on 98ron+ as standard. After re-map the 99ron v-power ran superbly. Better than usual.

After a while and with the prices of fuel going thro the ceiling, I wondered about the placebo effect and stuck a tank full of 95ron standard Shell in.

That must have been the worst tank full of driving I had in two and a half years. Really noticeable lack of torque. Didnt do it again. Throttle response took a nose-dive too.

I've had three Hondas now - a 1991 NSR125 2stroke bike, a 1998 Honda civic EJ9, and now the 2002 EP3. I have always experimented with different fuels and my conclusion is that yes it does make a difference.

The NSR125 used to hate normal 95oct unleaded and would run noticeably 'rougher' and vibrate through the bars a lot more. Stick some V-power in and the pick-up when coming off roundabouts was much smoother and it felt that little bit stronger in the powerband (6-9.5k rpm).

The EJ9 civic would produce its power between 4k-6.5k rpm, which in effect kind of felt like a powerband in itself (typical small honda engine). The car had all the common breathing mods including a decat, and the tone actually changed slightly when running on V-power. The exhaust just sounded crisper, as if the fuel was burning cleaner. Also because of the decat, town driving could become jerky at times on normal unleaded. When running V-power this problem went away....go figure? Also, fuel consumption was probably boosted by 15 miles or so for every 20ltrs of petrol as you don't really need to use quite as much throttle.

I cant really comment on the EP3 yet as I'm still getting used to the power of the bloody thing. It seems I've finally got a car which you cant regularly use all of the power available simply down to so much slow traffic on the roads. Having said that, the pick-up does seem smoother than when I first picked it up as the previous lady owner just used 95oct fuel. Whether this is just because its not been driven with any anger in a while and its loosened up a little though I'm not sure.

All I know is, now the petrol prices have edged below a quid a litre again I'm just gonna use as much of the stuff as poss while its still affordable. :smt047

I've always used V-Power until I made a an error in thinking my car would go further than it did and had no option eventually but to pull into a normal station and fill up with 95. Car ran no diff to normal.....

One of my mates other halves works for Shell and he insists that super unleaded not only gives power gains but also increases the mileage you can get from a tank. It's backed up by the fact that they all use super unleaded in their household. The person in question is qualified in all kinds of chemistry stuff that normal folk don't understand. The only warning he gave was that the super super unleaded stuff (110RON race fuel kinda stuff as sold by the odd BP garage) is bad for most engines.

Thus if he puts his money where his mouth is then I'll go along with it... plus my car is mapped on V-Power.

One of my mates other halves works for Shell and he insists that super unleaded not only gives power gains but also increases the mileage you can get from a tank.

he works for shell and is insisting, the guy from amd insists there phenom chip better than intels, never gonna happen.
am sure if i worked for shell and was getting paid i would insist too.
also whats the difference in milage per tank and does it pay to use it?
i know by law they cant state this stuff on tv so has to be some truth in it but stil dont think it pays for itself.
also if you tail a lorry and get in its slipstream and follow steady speed that can get you more mpg.

Last edited by a moderator:
he works for shell and is insisting, the guy from amd insists there phenom chip better than intels, never gonna happen.
am sure if i worked for shell and was getting paid i would insist too.
also whats the difference in milage per tank and does it pay to use it?
i know by law they cant state this stuff on tv so has to be some truth in it but stil dont think it pays for itself.
also if you tail a lorry and get in its slipstream and follow steady speed that can get you more mpg.

So if it's bullshit and doesn't work why does he make sure all his family use it? (e.g. his daughter is told to use it in her 1.2 Corsa!) Would you tell your mrs to use something that was more expensive and made no difference? Of course not. This guy puts his money where his mouth is, if he didn't have hard evidence it worked he'd not bother. He gets no discount on the fuel either.

Back