• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

v tech on JDM type R

hi im new to this,

i have just bought a JDM civic type R, i also had an 05 uk type R before . the vtech on the JDM doesnt kick in as fearsome as the uk spec it kind of gradually comes in rather than nocking me back in my seat,

does anyone know if this is normal as i know the JDM has a more tuned engine??

thanks

Have you checked the oil level?

Also, it is VTEC not VTECH. ;)

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/ideas/diseases/gas_dvtec

63XOC7CU7GA2KQVI66Y6WHUKULPPVQAW.jpg

OK guys I think he may have got the point. :lol: :cool:

OP - If you are not experiencing the correct VTEC kick then check the oil and make sure it is at the correct level - low oil is the most common cause of VTEC vanishment.

haha ok got the point!!! vtec,

yeah checked the oil, its justed been serviced the oils clear and at the right level,

i was just wondering if all the JDMs wer like this or if theres a problem, the vtec does work just doesnt force me back and kick in like uk spec 1

haha ok got the point!!! vtec,

yeah checked the oil, its justed been serviced the oils clear and at the right level,

i was just wondering if all the JDMs wer like this or if theres a problem, the vtec does work just doesnt force me back and kick in like uk spec 1

OK - Oil is good.

Next - make sure you are at full throttle when reaching the required rev range - gentle acceleration will not encourage VTEC.

If there is a possible problem beyond the obvious then it could be the VTEC solenoid - those who have experienced this matter will post accordingly i am sure.

does that mean replacing the solinoid?

i was just wondering if its set up differently vtec ways to come in more smoothly, it does work as its rapid whilst on it

LMAO Dotty!!

it had a aem v2 and a buddy club cat back but i felt it before that,

Are you sure your UK actually gave you a kick and it wasn't just the increased volume from the AEM & Buddyclub the placebo effect of those types of mods can sway your judgment.

The EP3 has basically the same engine with I-VTEC and afaik the vtec changeover is the same. The new VTEC systems are a far smoother transition not like the older VTEC in B18 and B16 engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
has your jdm been remapped (kpro etc...) this will make the vtec more gradual and less of a kick. "apparently. i dont have k pro myself"

no its totally standard, i know jdm's come with an uprated ecu whether or not that makes a difference i dont know,

once you put an induction kit on their will be a change over noise when vtec kicks in at 6000 rpm. This will be what your missing with a standard air box. However after driving a stock ep3 the other day i might put the oem box back on!! much smoother sound :cool:

Back