• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Vague feeling steering under hard acceleration

Went for a bit of a drive earlier this evening, just for something to do and to have a good drive of the car I've only had for a week.Though when I left the roundabout onto a slip road which joins the M53, I gave it some beans to get up to speed to merge onto the motorway. I then noticed under hard acceleration the steering feel went a bit wishy washy from 2nd into 3rd then a bit into 4th which is when i eased off. I noticed it a couple of other times too on a couple of national speed limit country lanes and it got me thinking there's something wrong.
Has anyone had this happen to them? Thinking about it now maybe the wheels where spinning, but i heard no tyre squeel, no juddering, just the steering going slightly light and vauge :(
At the times it does it I was not cornering and accelerating hard, were I would expect some under steer and or wheel spin, but I was on straight road :confused:
Hope someone can shed a little bit of light on this? Hopefully this post made sense as I'm not the most articulate :(

Thanks in advance for reading,

Scott

Sounds like your car is doing a little wheelie, lol.

Does sound tyre-related though. I'm guessing it was dry as we havent had any rain recently. What tyres are you running and what pressure are they at?

The only time I've ever experienced something similar was driving in the wet/damp with worn Bridgestones - the car would wheelspin in 3rd when hitting VTEC.

Tyre and pressure I bet, even if the pressure is off even a little, there's definitely a noticeable difference in handling.

Checked the type pressure this evening and both front tyres are running at 33psi which is 1psi over the recommended pressure. Both front tyres are Fulda Exeleros which are probably pap?! Could the pressure be slightly low and causing this or a combination of both bobbins tyres and pressure?
Cheers,
Scott

Not the Bridgestones. RE040 are good in the dry but a bit hairy in the wet. Lift off oversteer at will.
Yoko Parada Spec-2's seem to be well thought of.

Yeah those tyres are probably the issue, I've run over 33psi on the front & rears before now and it doesn't cause any immediate issues.

I've never tried them myself but I've heard people comment on Parada spec2s also being a bit dodgy in the wet, but then most performance tyres won't be much better.

I've had Toyo T1-Rs and IMO they weren't all they were cracked up to be. I've also had the Toyo Proxes 4's and I found these to be better all-round and don't wear out as quickly. Avon ZZ3's are also pretty good tyres but I haven't run these on my EP3 yet, only older civics. I'm now running Nankang Ultrsport NSIIs on the front as I was skint when I needed to get it through an MOT. To be honest theyre pretty good for daily use at £40 a corner but I'd want something with a stiffer sidewall for real track abuse.

Think it'll be a while before they need replacing as I don't go mental, just the occasional v-tec joining the motorway......for now :twisted: Although I would love to go on a track day at some point in the future. I'll keep the Toyo proxe 4's in mind though when I do have to replace them. The current tyres still have a lot of tread left so for the time being, unless someone wants some bobbins rubber ;) , they'll do.
Just out of interest how much would the Toyo's cost each? :confused:
Cheers,
Scott

Yea I'm in the same boat now mate. I bought the Nangkang ones as a get-by as I was going through tyres every 8k miles. I've calmed down a bit now and these have lasted me 7k so far with about half of the tread still there. I'm in no rush to change just yet.

The Proxes 4 tyres are £66 each from camskill at the moment. I always order my tyres off the net now and get them fitted locally as it normally works out cheaper. Much cheaper than the Bridgestone Potenzas and a better all-round tyre IMO. The ride quality feels great with all four new ones fitted as well.

Yea I'm in the same boat now mate. I bought the Nangkang ones as a get-by as I was going through tyres every 8k miles. I've calmed down a bit now and these have lasted me 7k so far with about half of the tread still there. I'm in no rush to change just yet.

The Proxes 4 tyres are £66 each from camskill at the moment. I always order my tyres off the net now and get them fitted locally as it normally works out cheaper. Much cheaper than the Bridgestone Potenzas and a better all-round tyre IMO. The ride quality feels great with all four new ones fitted as well.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m54b0s15p8985

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m54b0s15p8985

Cheers Chr15 66 quid isn't too bad actually. Thought I was goin to be paying bout 120 each for the tyres alone :eek: good news :)
Still got the Bridgestone Potenzas on the rear, I'm assuming they're the originals too as the car's only done just over 26k, but could be wrong. Thanks for the link too fella, will come in handy when I'm ready to replace/upgrade :)

Falken FK452's are also a worthy choice, I will be getting these when my current ones die.

I liked my Pirelli P Zero's when I had them on my old DC5, great grip, poor life...

This is getting difficult ;) at this rate I'll have an even harder decision when the time comes to replacing rubber ;) :( How much do the P-Zeros come in at nefor?

well mine weren't the 4x4 or in 21 inch...

I bought mine from Blackcircles.com last year, just checked and they're about 150 each, I think I paid 90 each.

well mine weren't the 4x4 or in 21 inch...

I bought mine from Blackcircles.com last year, just checked and they're about 150 each, I think I paid 90 each.

My bad didn't look at the sizes :oops: 150 is a bit steep like :lol: maybe if I come into some wonga ;)

Back