• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Valve Clearance questions

i adjusted my valve clearances using this guide
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=654652

But now having a genuine honda manual it says to set it at tdc for cylinder 1 and check all the clearances that way and not move the crank for each cylinder!

Which one is right?

I set them at these settings
Intake:
0.21 - 0.25 mm (0.008 - 0.010 in.)
Exhaust:
0.25 - 0.29 mm (0.010 - 0.011 in.)

Not the easiest, its just making sure the feeler gauge is in at the right angle. If you've no experience i wouldn't do it, we charge about an hours labour, god knows what it would be from Honda though

hmm i'll take it to my mates garage, perhaps taking it to honda is a silly idea, and me doing it even sillier. Thanks

oh, and how will i know when they need doing, my ctr has done 95k now and is starting to sound a tiny bit tappity, does that sound like they will need doing soon?

If its not had a major service i could do with them being done, they should be done every 25k IIRC. You may find the car is a bit faster if they've not been done for a while.

Because the valves wouldn't open how they're designed to, eventually you'll get a sh!t mixture in the chamber which can lead to all sorts of issues.

hmmm i havent had my car long and dont recall seeing a reciept for it, might get it done soon as its sounds a little tappity now

Because the clearances are tighter so taking up the slack that shouldnt be there meaning your valves open sooner, effectively ensuring the cam timing is spot on. How many miles has the car done? Might be worth checking if the chain has stretched any while the cam cover is off, shouldnt have but worth a look. With them not being done, it just means that everything is slightly out and not as it should be really.

the car has done 95k now, i believe 2 previous owners have been on this site and a few guys recognise the car. It seems to have been really well looked after and wanted for nothing but i dont like taking chances with cars. I may aswell get it booked in at the garage and have everything checked, just hope it doesnt cost too much, although i believe it is due for a service soon.

Clearances only take about an hour from start to finish as long as the engine is cool enough. We charge £66 to do them i think. Shouldn't be too expensive, just make sure its a reputable garage bud.

£66 seems pretty reasonable, Should i be having a "big" service around the 100k mark anyway? I might just bring my car up to you, im only in macclesfield

Not the easiest, its just making sure the feeler gauge is in at the right angle. If you've no experience i wouldn't do it, we charge about an hours labour, god knows what it would be from Honda though

I asked my local Honda dealer for a oil and filter service with valve clearance and transmission oil change, they quoted me £290 and the for a full major service it was the best part of £800. I will be going to TDI again this year they know their stuff.

Back