• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Valve clearance readjustment

Hi, sorry i know ive been going on about this topic for awhille, ive done my clearances two weeks ago, anyway got a small leak on gasket so covers coming off anyway so i'll check clearances just to make sure they not gone out of spec (first time ive done clearances so to see ive done it right) i was talking to mechanic friend of mine and he said he prefers to put clearances to the middle of recommended spec, ive seen recommended to be .010-.011 exhaust , .008-.010 intake, is there any difference noticable if adjusting to middle of scale instead of tight end? I would leave exhaust as it is and adjust intake to .009,

Last edited by a moderator:
I adjusted mine to the middle spec as it was also my first time doing it but I read that its best to have the exhaust valves looser and the intake tighter

Ok ive reset mine to 9 intake and 11 exhaust seems like more pull in midrange, i adjusted and then spun engine over and checked clearances all ok, only thing is i cant remember when i did my final checks i did it in order ie 1 3 4 2 , is it possible to get feeler guage in at wrong time? Say if i set pulley marks to 1 then 90 degrees to cylinder 3 but by mistake check cylinder 2 and so on is that possible to get feeler in place?

Back