• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Valve Clearances EP3

Hey All,

So my EP3 has just cleared the 132k miles and im pretty sure that at certain RPMs i can just hear the tappy tap tap of the valves making me think that the clearances are out of line.

It makes sense as the car has done quite alot of miles now. My question is how easy are these to set and what tools are essential and is there anything else i should replace/check while im in there? I am quite an able drive way mechanic and have done all work on the car so i have the tools and the ability i believe. Im just looking for that next level "ive done it before and make sure you do this" sort of post from you guys.

Thanks

Im going to do mine in the summer. There is a specific tool do it, which costs about £50. However you can do the adjustment with a spanner and flathead screwdriver. Then a gauge obviously.

Plenty of how to videos on youtube.

Done this recently myself, read few guides online.

Tools I use where ;
Torque wrench
Spanner
Flat head screw driver
Feeler gauges
Socket set

It's not difficult to do as long as your confident around an engine and can set each piston to TDC etc.
Takes patience to get the correct drag on the feeler gauge and knowing when it's correct, then rechecking them after torquing the nut. Time consuming job, the slightest movement on the screw changes the gap.

Need some gasket sealant for the corners off your rocker cover and check the gasket is good to reuse or just replace it for piece off mind.

I replaced the spark plugs while I was there and having them out made it easier to turn the engine over by hand.

OK cheers guys. Ive been looking about the internet and there are plenty of guides so i may have a go at this one over the bank holiday weekend. :)

They need to be done on a stone cold engine, so try and do them first thing in the morning before starting the car.

Back