• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Valve clearances - how much

Main dealer should charge £100 surcharge over the price of a service. It's on the Honda website under the Fixed Price Servicing section.

Indy will vary depending on their hourly rate.

Does this need doing regular or if the car sounds Tappy, Mine sounds spot on so don't want to touch it while its working, My Friend mechanic would be more then happy to check but then its going to need new gaskets for the sake of it.

They only need doing in accordance with the service schedule. However, more frequent oil changes will reduce the amount they need to be adjusted by. A well kept engine will need minimal adjustment when the time comes.

The service schedule says 25k miles. I had mine done at service time recently with my car being at 57k.

Mine looked like they had never been touched before, which is usual as Honda service techs have habit of audibly checking at 25k and not even taking the cam cover off, yet still charging the customer.

My exhaust cam side were pretty close to being spot on, the intake side were well out, far too slack. If anything mine is a little noisier now, probably due to them being tightened up a bit.

Another common mistake is that they are done when the engine is warm, which leads to them being out. The engine has to be cold. First thing Tom at TGM did with my car on Saturday was to drop the oil and take off the cam cover to let the heat escape. I think it was around 3pm when he finally did them, after making sure the valve train was stone cold. Mine weren't far out, yet it seems to have cured a tappety noise I had which I'm greatful for. F20C's are noisy engines anyway, more so than the K20 due to the cam gear system.

may get them checked then. its still on original clutch and chain as well (94,000 ) But its had a good service life and feels perfect so not going to play there yet. Done the gearbox oil yesterday and thats made the drive and gear changes a lot smoother which is surprising for just an oil change and a 20 min job.

Back