• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Very high pitched squeak when extended ABS kicks

Hi,

After an emergency with my other car I took a very careful drive to the mechanic with my EP3. Due to the levels of snow and ice on the road here in Poland the ABS was going mental in certain places.

A couple of times when I held the brake down for 3-4s and ABS was struggling I heard a very high pitched alarm/squeak type noise coming from inside the car somewhere. It definitely didn't *sound* mechanical, it literally sounded like an alarm. I've heard this alarm about 3 times in total when driving in very slick conditions.

Should I be worried about this?

Bump. It's getting back to winter and I still noticed this.

I've just fitted new brakes and flushed the fluid completely. When I intentionally trigger the ABS I hear a very loud, strange, alien-like squeaking/yelping noise coming from where the ABS unit is located.

I can't help with what this is; but I can tell you my old EP3 did the exact same thing in the snow. Not helpful as such, but at least you know you're not alone!

I can't help with what this is; but I can tell you my old EP3 did the exact same thing in the snow. Not helpful as such, but at least you know you're not alone!

I mean, honestly, it could be an EP3 thing? I usually don't trigger the ABS it's just that I'm running MPSS3s on there now and they're really not good for the winter at all. I'm just dailying the EP3 until I can finish off my Prelude for daily duty.

I know that when I'd had the ABS kick in the pump usually rumbles a bit and the revs climb but never heard of what you describe.

Since I just had my brakes changed and the brake fluid changed/flushed I think there may be air in the ABS module. I've taken it to my mechanic and he agrees that could be a useful first step. We'll bleed the brakes fully and if that doesn't help, replace the ABS module.

I've had the brakes bled again and no change. It seems to happen more when cold. I've noticed when even setting off from a cold start and turning the wheel it does it. It could be a sensor, it could be the pump. We're gonna try swapping the pump out for a known-good one and go from there.

Back