• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

very Slight Grinding Noise

hi
Ive got the same problem with the grinding noise ive taken it to honda around 4 times and they say its a noisey clutch and if i do change the clutch and flywheel it will only come back 6 months later.. The thing is ive had this noise for over a year and it hasnt got worse or better!!

hi
Ive got the same problem with the grinding noise ive taken it to honda around 4 times and they say its a noisey clutch and if i do change the clutch and flywheel it will only come back 6 months later.. The thing is ive had this noise for over a year and it hasnt got worse or better!!
Self diagnosis..
This is how to diagnose it....THROWOUT BEARING
-Start your car.
-Roll up the windows, turn the radio off, and turn the blower motor for the AC/heater off.
-put the car into neutral, and press in the clutch
---- if you hear the noise now, it is the THROWOUT BEARING. If you release the clutch, the noise should go away

The reason it makes the noise like this is because when you have your foot off the clutch, the throwout bearing is not spinning, and it has no force on it. But when you push the clutch in, the throwout bearing forces the fingers on the pressure plate in, causing the clutch to release. The bearing is spinning however fast the motor is turning at this time. So if the bearing is bad, it will make noise.

This is how to diagnose it.....INPUT SHAFT BEARING
-Start your car.
-Roll up the windows, turn the radio off, and turn the blower motor for the AC/heater off.
-put the car into neutral, and take your foot off the clutch pedal
---- if you hear the noise now, it is the INPUT SHAFT BEARING. if you press in the clutch, the noise should go away.

The reason for this is because when you have the clutch engaged (foot off the pedal) the motor is spinning the input shaft on the transmission (even when in neutral). The bearing has a plastic cage inside of it that holds the small ball-bearings equidistant apart. This plastic cage can be broken by even a completely stock car, if it is driven hard (shifting hard, running sticky tires, etc). When this plastic cage breaks, the ball bearings load up one side of the bearing. This allows the input shaft to walk side to side slightly, which causes the gears to not mesh up right. This causes a whining and growling sound. But when you press in the clutch, the input shaft stops spinning, so the noise goes away.

Hi lads as you know got the car back from mechanic last week and noise still exists i was listening today when the car was idling and i could hear the noise then when i put my foot on the clutch noise goes away which would suggest Mainshaft bearing rang mechanic the other day and he said he replaced all the bearings including Mainshaft bearings. I just want to enjoy having the car for another week or so then drop it back in. I still have another 5 Months warranty so all good! But you are all saying some people have replace all bearings and Clutch and noise still exsists so will i just forget about it?

Hm,change the halfshaft bearing,fit the Energy suspension engine mounts inserts..perhaps the problem in them..

Hi Shane,

The issue I had in the end was that the garage were unsure of what to do next, and gave me the choice of trying for a new clutch. This was after the bearing changes. They said if it wasn't the clutch then I would have to pay the labour charges, quite a large amount. I took the risk and the noise still existed, however they told honda that the clutch was making some noises, so claimed it on manufacturers warranty and effectively said its best you don't push it further.

Its easy to say change this bearing or that bearing, but the potential cost of doing these could prove expensive.

I suggest you try to get the garage to do more work, however don't be suprised that they want labour charges if it doesn't fix the issue. At that point make the call on if its worth it or not.

Should all possible sources of sound check,I know it's expensive but when it is already so close I think it's worth..me the same thing is waiting,i first fit ES engine mount inserts,change the halfshaft bearing and last gearbox bearings..To 56TypeR you dont have Es inserts?

Back