• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Very very poor mpg 15mpg

Hi, was wondering if anyone could help as i am getn 15mpg with little bit of v-tec. Before i was getting atleast 25-30 and i was quite happy, now its down to 15 i cant afford running the car if it continues and i really dont want to sell it.

Serviced the car 1k ago.
replaced oil
spark plugs
air filter

current mileage is 66k

2004 plate.

:(

anyone got any ideas what could be the problem.

for some reason, mine has drunk the fuel this week, on the way to fill up my gauge went back up to quarter of a tank ? thats after 2 days with light on

petrol scam.

do you have any EML come on or is the car driving different to normal?

You've not put if the car is standard. Things like putting a de-cat on it and not having it remapped can change the fuel mixture and make it run rich etc.

If it is standard get it plugged into the diagnostics at the dealer. Should be able to tell you if the car isn't running right.

Some things to check though:
  • If it's been run on Supermarket fuel all it's life stick a couple of tanks of V-power through it.
  • It should have had the valve clearances done at 50k, this should be done every 25k. If this hasn't been done get it done.
  • I see you've had plugs done, they're usually right out of the box, but check they were gapped correctly, as this may cause fuel to be unburnt and you would be down on power, meaning more right foot etc.
  • Check the cam chain hasn't stretched (this will more than likely come up on the diagnostics as warning etc).
  • Get your tracking/alignment and tyre pressures checked. Wheel's pointing in the wrong direction and low pressures can eat fuel.
  • Get your brakes checked to be sure they aren't binding. If they are it'll sap your economy.

Let us know how you get on. :smt023

thanks guys

thanks loxy very usefull info, yes its all standard no mod done to the car. I will most prob get a diagnostics done at Honda.

ps oil filter was deff changed & no EML, it did come on once when i span out twice on a dual carriageway! took the bend too quick & my foot went on the brake (big mistake but i've learned) luckily nothing happened to the car but after few mins the light went off.

can you give me more info regarding lambda sensor.....thanks

can you give me more info regarding lambda sensor.....thanks

The Lambda sensor has a limited life span like most replaceable parts. It controls your open loop fuelling ( town driving,idle, but not in VTEC) and when they fail they usually read lean so the ECU adds more fuel to richen it up.

When they completely go it will show a CEL but sometimes you experience very poor fuel economy before that happens.

The Lambda sensor has a limited life span like most replaceable parts. It controls your open loop fuelling ( town driving,idle, but not in VTEC) and when they fail they usually read lean so the ECU adds more fuel to richen it up.

When they completely go it will show a CEL but sometimes you experience very poor fuel economy before that happens.

Ok that makes sense, but what do u mean by CEL?

Back