• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Vibrating sound from engine when starting..

MUXY

Wiperblade Master
Help!! :?

Sometimes when the car is started, I get a loud vibrating noise for about half a second....it sounds like it is coming from the front somewhere.. :?

Could it be the manifold cover thing that Smeg was on about in a previous post? It only happens occasionally.....any ideas??? :?

Ta

Neil

HASNIC said:
Could be headlight motor, is it sort of a whirring noise that lasts a few seconds?

Not really....it is only for a fraction of a second, and it sounds just like you have tried to put it in gear without engaging the clutch......but then realised at the last minute. :?

Got me baffled...it happened about 4 weeks ago and has happened only 2 or 3 times since.... :?

could be a fault with the starter motor not disengaging properly :idea:
though that usually sounds more like a loud screech than a vibration

It sounds like it's the silver plastic inlet cover. Make sure the little black leg that's below the black section, is sat firmly inside the rubber hole on the air filter intake pipe.

If that doesn't solve it, put a couple of rubber washers on the bolts that hold the cover to the inlet manifold.

Tim.

Does it sound like a metal rattle like a heat shield? and does it happen mostly when the choke is out so teh car after start is is idling at aroung 2K rpm?

I get this quite often, and its really getting on my t!ts as I get funny looks when starting the car from Cold.

I've got The dealer looking at my '05 when it goes in for its first service. That and a coule of other things.

Neil it's probably the inlet manifold cover mate.

Mine used to make a similar noise to what your describing.

Best bet is to take it off one night then start the car from cold the next morning and see what happens. I tried putting some washers under mine in the hope it would sit higher but it also seemed to be sitting 'off centre' and would always make contact with the IM.

In the end I just took it off.

Well, there's been quite a discussion regarding this (elsewhere). It happens to mine on very cold mornings. The general thought and comments from Honda is that the oil doesn't lift quickly to the top of the engine (theres enough still there to do the job for a second or two)and its that relative dryness that causes that sound that sounds a bit like a sticking starter motor- yes?? Honda know and aren't bothered !!

Thats exactly right, my CTR does exactly the same when i start it from cold sometimes. Its after the car is initialy fired up, for a split second or two, you get a sticky metallic kinda starter motor noise. Just hope it doesnt cause any damage.

I am convinced that this is quite simply oil starvation at the top end of the engine until the oil pump gets pressure up. This is normal.

Back