• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Vibration/knocking when braking

Getting very bad knocking/vibration from front when brake around 60mph+ .Have read other threads on this forum but no one seems to post when they have gotten to bottom of it.Possible warped discs?

Any ideas welcome

I would say brake discs also. Had exactly the same issue, pretty bad vibrations when braking from higher speeds, replaced my discs and problem solved.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Check your callipers at the same time. The warping could have been caused by them seizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can either be warped discs, Pad deposits stuck on the disc, corroded patch on the disc or worse case a cracked disc.

I always thought warping was just a generic term people use for discs which have an uneven surface, whatever the cause - very interesting reading. As reputable and believable as that info is, I find it very hard to believe they've never seen a warped disc. People manage to do incredible things with cars. I have a mate who dropped is car off a jack and bent a front disc. Anything is possible :lol:

I was driving at night, saw a glint in front of me and hauled hard on the brakes before hitting a deep puddle (deep enough to drag the car to a stop and have a little water enter the cabin, entire road corner was flooded), brakes were never the same after that.

Maybe they're right about standard claims but I'm pretty sure it can happen.

Have you had the wheels off recently? Your wheel nuts may not be fully tight. Retorque them all to 108nm.

Also the discs could be getting very hot due to caliper pistons sticking, this will cause a vibration when getting up speed. This issue would normally be coupled with sluggish acceleration. One way to test this by driving is simply stopping on a very slight decline after you feel the vibration, stick the clutch in if in gear and if the car rolls easily then they should be ok, if the the car doesn't move then I would suggest a sticking caliper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll follow the advice of one of the biggest brake manufacturers in the world.

I'll follow the advice of one of the biggest brake manufacturers in the world.

It's not 'advice' though, it's an article written by someone called Caroll Smith. There's quite a lot of places on other forums discussing the same thing.

I'm sure 4/5 times its just pad deposits, but it's naive to believe that discs can't be damaged any other way.

I wouldn't say disc warping is a myth. Some vehicles suffer from it more than others due to disc design. For example VW Polo's of a certain ages suffer from disc warp and it tends to be more common on automatic vehicles due to people keeping their foot on the brake in drive after a heavy stop and not putting it into neutral and using the handbrake.
There is no way you'd pick up pad deposit from a DTI gauge. It's generally more visible on the disc and tends to wear off over a period of time.

I had vibration or juddering under braking in my old DC2. This is way back though. I had the front disks skimmed & it mostly fixed the problem. I don't think anywhere does this now though?

Back