• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

VPower = Better Economy???

I've often wondered whether theres any truth in this, so for 4 consecutive tanks I've used vpower instead of my normal 95ron. I noticed the car was a lot more responsive, and torquer lower down but fuel economy was worse. Quite noticeably worse. :confused:

I didn't measure the mileage as I tend to fuel up at different stages in the last quarter tank and normally stick in a wee bit more after it clicks so it wouldn't be that accurate anyhow...

But with vpower being about £50 a tank and the no. miles I do, I was quite careful with my right foot. I take the same routes all the time and drive pretty much the same way and never notice much difference in economy with 95ron. With V-power however it was quite noticeably worse, especially on the motorway.

So I'm a bit confused as to why people say it is better for fuel economy? :confused:

What i have personally found is that i got BETTER economy with Optimax than i do with V-Power :confused:

bring back Optimax i say :lol:

Are you comparing the same amount of litres or the same amount of £'s as you won't be getting the same litres due to the price difference.

Are you comparing the same amount of litres or the same amount of £'s as you won't be getting the same litres due to the price difference.

To be fair, I'm not calculating anything. I'm just going by experience as I do the same journeys all the time. Yeah, its a bit crude but one thing's for sure, I was filling up more often than usual. I was also pretty convinced I could almost see the needle dropping on some motorway runs!:eek:

I'm not sure if its personal preference or just the placebo affect.

I didn't like the response of my EP3 when I used Optimax.

I found Vpower 100ron in Germany to be superb.

On UK Vpower i couldn't feel any difference, but saw an extra 20 miles out of each full tank.

Yet to try Vpower on the new car.

It makes no difference to the mileage in my car and I have been monitoring it since I bought the car (sad I know :lol: )

Used Optimax and now run the EP3 on V-Power for the same work route. Taking in consideration inflation etc I am convinced that V-Power is giving me slighlty less MPG.

Will investigate this with my car now, as i swear i get more miles to a tank with vpower once its all nicely run in (1-2 tanks)

I average around 220 miles per tank on 95Ron & 260 miles on Vpower, but because of the 7p per litre difference in price the normal 95ron works out better value for money?

Cheers, Shelton.

I average around 220 miles per tank on 95Ron & 260 miles on Vpower, but because of the 7p per litre difference in price the normal 95ron works out better value for money?

Cheers, Shelton.

there's a load of info on here about pros & cons of different octane petrols but most important is the lubricants used in Shell petrol which ultimately looks after your motor. I reckon it's an unsafe and false evonomy to be using anything other than V-Power.

IIRC you should NOT be using 95 ron. Stick at least 98 if you can't get V-power, preferably BP Ultimate as this also uses high tech lubricants in the petrol. your going to need about 3 or 4 tanks for the petrol to settle/mix fully when switching between different types, so that it's all the same octane level, and also the ECU needs time to re-configure the ignition to compensate for different octane levels.

The best thing is to use ONE and the SAME petrol every trip. And don't use 95, get 98 or 99 ONLY.

I think it's got to be said that there's definitely trends from previous comments, some gaining economy, some losing (when switching to V-power). However I bet that those that lose keep switching and those that don't see much difference regularly use the same brand of Super (97+).

no point in me commenting on my economy when I had my EP3, because it was always on the gas. But I always used Optimax and then always used V-power when it changed and it was fairly (but by no means scientific here!) consistent.

but most important is the lubricants used in Shell petrol which ultimately looks after your motor.

The main reason I've only run my past 4 cars on the stuff ;)

When Tom @ TGM had the rocker cover off & sump off to do some work it all looked brand new inside, not bad for a car that had covered 21,000 miles & span to 8400rpm.

I didnt notice much to begin with but after about 3-4 full tanks I am definately seeing a difference.

I average around 220 miles as the petrol light comes on. Have used V-Power pretty much since I bought the car (Around 18mths). I'm also mapped to V-Power.
I want to try normal 95Ron just to see.

you tend to get economy from v power cos you drive more responsably i mean if you put a full tank in costing £1.10 per ltr if not more, you're hardly going to be raping the crap out of the car and using it up in 200 miles

Partly true, but petrol prices will always go up I dont see why that should force me to not enjoy driving the car...it just means I put more money aside for petrol each month.

Back