• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Vtec help.

Hi guys. After owning my 2005 type R for 6 months I've finally got round to seeing what the car can really do. On previous occasions on a quiet slip road I have got vtec going in 3rd gear where you feel that jolt, which leaves a big smile on my face. Today I went out and on a duel carriageway thought to try vtec in 4th but didn't feel no "kick"? It was exactly at 6000rpm but gave up as I ran out of road. The car is coming up to 33k but is due a service. I check the oil before I always go out in it so maybe this didn't work as its due an oil change? Although I have noticed that oil is up to the full marker when cold but on the halfway marker when warm. Or should I of taken it past 6000rpm when in 4th? Thanks in advance as my knowledge of vtec somewhat lacking.

Vtec will work in any gear but the crossover is less pronouced as you get into the higher gears, that said, if you had a long enough private road you would still hear the crossover in 5th adn 6th gears. at 6000rpm you have only just passed the crossover point so give it another 1000 rpm and you should really notice the difference :)

Well done for checking the oil though, its very often over looked. The reason for less oil on the dipstick when warm is because the rest of it is circulated around the engine and hasn't drained back into the sump yet.

6th gear vtec kicks in on mine at 173kmh (104mph ish) and there is no kick, just a change in the engine note. As I think about it there isnt much of a "kick" in 4th or 5th, just the change of engine note.

All on autobahn by the way, above board and legal! :twisted:

6th gear vtec kicks in on mine at 173kmh (104mph ish) and there is no kick, just a change in the engine note. As I think about it there isnt much of a "kick" in 4th or 5th, just the change of engine note.

All on autobahn by the way, above board and legal! :twisted:

Thats because you have an FN2 (I'm guessing from your avatar pic?) which has a much smoother crossover than an EP3 ;)

Thats because you have an FN2 (I'm guessing from your avatar pic?) which has a much smoother crossover than an EP3 ;)

Yeah I agree, you never actually get a kick in the FN2 (Or at least I haven't felt it), the change is signified by the car sounding mental, and getting quick, quickly :p

I'm all about the smooth mate! It comes with age :D
The EP3 was a bit too harsh for me...i'm almost 30, I need to take it easy at my time of life!

Yep the crossovers were flattened out a little for the FN2 werent they.

6th gear vtec kicks in on mine at 173kmh (104mph ish)

That's not right, it's about 125-130mph-ish in mine..... 4th gear is good for 100mph-ish so when you go into 5th you're just at the beginning of the vtec zone..... on track.

EDIT: think i've really just confused myself.... :freak:

That's not right, it's about 125-130mph-ish in mine..... 4th gear is good for 100mph-ish so when you go into 5th you're just at the beginning of the vtec zone..... on track.

EDIT: think i've really just confused myself.... :freak:

I think I know what you mean Neil. You are talking about where your vtec picks up when ragging through the gears and changing up.
I was saying if I am not in vtec and cruising in 6th, if I put my foot down my 5400rpm changeover is at 173kmh.

Or am I just as confused as you now?!

Ianmt you could go to about 70mph then drop from 6th gear to 4th & then you will fill it kick :smt047

I think I know what you mean Neil. You are talking about where your vtec picks up when ragging through the gears and changing up.
I was saying if I am not in vtec and cruising in 6th, if I put my foot down my 5400rpm changeover is at 173kmh.

Or am I just as confused as you now?!
Fook it, I don't care. :lol:

Thanks for your advice guys. I think you may be right with the 6000rpm thing as when I first tried vtec in third I had to take it to 6000rpm before I heard the noise get louder, although it states it takes effect at 5800rpm. Im off on Friday so will give it another try but this time may pluck up the courage to take it to 7000rpm, to see if I can hear the vtec change in 4th.
My main reason for asking was that I heard of some issues with a vtec sensor malfunctioning, so wondered would something be wrong with mine?

1) Warm car (I presume you have already checked your oil)
2) Find quiet dual carriageway with no plod/cameras
3) 3rd gear 40MPH
4) Plant right foot as hard as you can
5) Watch revs rise
6) Grab 4th as the needle passes 8K - 2nd would be very bad
7) Grab 5th as the needle passes 8K - check speed and back off!

Practice this a few times until you feel confident and you know how the engine sounds and when to change gear without looking. Start edging towards 8.3, but if you buzz the limiter now an again, it won't hurt anything other than your pride.

Aggressive down shifting is a little more risky - no rev limiter and the real possibility of causing engine damage!

If you change before hitting 8 - well some big girl might have a spare blouse :lol:

Seano

Thanks Seano! So I take it I would have to be looking at reaching 8000rpm in 4th to get a Vtec buzz?
Seeing as I was previously advised that when I tried to get Vtec in 4th I was only touching 6000rpm. I think I really needed that extra to get to feel the Vtec kick in and I may give your tip a go. I'm pretty new to all this so all advice is much appreciated, and yes I am a little weary but I'm started to get addicted!

Also, I take it from all the feedback that there isn't nothing wrong with the vtec not working in 4th, its the driver!?

Yeah go blow the cobwebs out!

VTEC won't engage if the ECU isn't happy with the engine's state ie too little oil, not warm enough etc. Wide Open throttle is the way to go!

It will use more petrol and is addictive, but you've bought the car and presumably paid the insurance - time for some fun!

The reason why I suggest 30 in 3rd is so that you shouldn't get wheelspin, be careful though, you will be heading towards ban country when you hit 5th.

Seano

Thanks Seano! So I take it I would have to be looking at reaching 8000rpm in 4th to get a Vtec buzz?
Seeing as I was previously advised that when I tried to get Vtec in 4th I was only touching 6000rpm. I think I really needed that extra to get to feel the Vtec kick in and I may give your tip a go. I'm pretty new to all this so all advice is much appreciated, and yes I am a little weary but I'm started to get addicted!

Also, I take it from all the feedback that there isn't nothing wrong with the vtec not working in 4th, its the driver!?
if you get the right gear change the car will stay in vtec rarther than go in and out. car sounds fine just a case of you getting used to the car i guess

Thats exactly why I backed off in 4th when I got to 6000rpm.... Points country! Think I just need some more practice. Thanks again guys!

As seano says, keep your foot well and truly planted as you go over that 5900rpm mark and keep it there til 8250rpm if poss. ;)

The engine sounds mental, but you are seriously getting every last drop of performance out of it if you do this, then when you change up gear, the revs will drop straight back to 6k rpm - hence still in the vtec engaged range. :cool:

Full chat in 5th as you drop it into 6th will have you at around 135mph on the autobahn. :lol:

Back