• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

VTEC light. How to remove the stupid thing? Fag lighter type

Not long had my EP3, it's a 2004 facelift and is boggo apart from a magnex non resonated cat back exhaust and a vtec light where the fag lighter should be. I've never liked it as it is ridiculously bright at night when on vtec and gives you arc eye! lol, I want to remove it but it doesn't seem to want to just pull out... and I aren't sure what I'm likely to find behind it, wires and so on as surely it is connected to the ECU somehow?

Pic below of the type it is. Does anyone have any ideas how I can safely remove this without damaging any wiring or do I need to rip half of my dash to bits?

Thanks guys.

301120111157.jpg

Unscrew the nut under the Gear Nob, remove the gearnob and nut. push the bottom of the gaiter in with your finger tips, and pull the bottom of panel under the gear stick out, and the panel just pulls away from the dash.

It will probably have a screw or 2, or just need twisting for it to come out.

Where the gearstick shroud is, put your hand into it, and pull up behind the silver trim, it should pull off. Sometimes you have to take the gear knob off but they can be on with locktite and a PITA to remove.

I've no idea about what cabling will be behind there though as a VTEC light is something that has never interested me.

Cheers guys I will have a go at this at the weekend if it's bits of dash which need to come off. I miss the simple old cars, I would have thought an EP3 would have fitted into this class as the dash doesn't look too complex! lol.

It is way too bright Chris, I'd deal with it if it just went green or something not stupid bright but on a dark country road it's hugely offputting and my passengers (mainly the missus) hate it. It's gotta go!

Cheers guys, I'll have a go. Luckily I was given the original cigarette lighter but thanks for the offer Tom :)

I really like those lights - pointless geekware. I might get me one. Install it in the centre of the steering wheel.

Finally got this took out, it was scotch clipped into the ECU wiring..... :|

Thankfully all removed and tidied up by some pro's!

Back