• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

VTEC Problem

Hi guys,

I'm having a problem with my car which I thought you may be able to give some insight on.

When the car goes past 5.5K revs there is a noticeable change in engine sound but the car literally does not pull at all. You can feel a noticeable kick for when it changes to High Cam but It will not rev passed or near 8k revs, and with the peddle all the way down the revs just start to drop gradually.

It is a recent problem that has risen but I have noticed over the past couple of months that the car does not pull like it used to. When it got to around 6.5k revs it would just fall really flat.

Insight into the car.

VTEC Solenoid gasket was replaced when I bought the car 30k miles ago.

VTEC Solenoid Filter was replaced at same time.

Timing Chain and Tensioner have both been changed around 5 - 10k ago. Valve Clearances were also done

VTC Actuator was changed around 15k miles ago.

Brand new Post CAT O2 Sensor 1k miles ago.

All spark plugs changed 10k miles ago.

Car is on 150k miles

Mods -

4-2-1 Manifold.
2.5 Inch Cat Back Exhaust
Tegiwa Carbon Intake.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks for the help

I'd get one done, see if there's an issue there. May also be worth having the fuel filter changed.

If power is dropping it's either not getting enough air, fuel or spark.

Cheers Chris

I'll get one booked in.

I'm also going to change the fuel filter, it was last done at 75k so I'm thinking it could be blocked.

The car works perfectly before it goes into VTEC there's no issues before 5.5k

I was also thinking maybe it could be the pump fuel pump it self? But I'm not to sure.

Car isn't throwing any codes either which isn't helpful

Thanks Chris for the advice

Yeah, worth checking. Have the injectors been replaced/cleaned at all?

You can have them removed and the spray pattern analysed, but it's not cheap. More often clear them out and see if that helps or just replace.

I've only checked the injectors by checking the resistances across the injectors and they are all within tolerances.

Injectors haven't been changed yet. I was thinking if the injectors were faulty it would throw up an eml code for a misfire but I'm not to sure. I was going to leave the injectors as a last resort as they will be the most expensive thing to change, as they are around £190 each.

Going to try and do a compression test today and see how that goes.

Thanks Chris

Hi guys,

This link below is a recording I took of a gear 1 and 2 pull monitoring the Long Term Fuel Trim and Short Term Fuel Trim.

You will also be able to see how the car does not pull past 6-7k revs.

Just something I did while waiting for the fuel filter to be delivered

Hopefully this means something to somebody as I'm not to sure myself.

Shall I record anything else? Or will that do?

Have you checked/changed/upgraded the throttle position sensor (TPS) ?
It will eventually wear out the carbon tracks...

Hi Guys,

Fuel filter was delivered today. I fit it and still having the same problem. Car engages VTEC but will not go above 6k Revs.

Think I'm going to replace the fuel pump next and see what happens.

Then perhaps the TPS sensor as suggested above

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Hi guys,

Little bit of an update on the situation.

Car has had a new fuel pump and new fuel filter fitted. Still no luck.

Maybe TPS sensor? I'm not to sure now.

Here's a video of the car while driving trying to do a gear 2 pull lol. Foot to the floor.

Battery light has been on ever since the car had it's alternator changed. Still charges fine and has a new battery to.

Thanks

Knock sensor or cam sensor maybe?

I remember a mates EP3 not revving and it turned out to be the knock sensor, no codes or anything came up.

Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk

Hi mate

Thanks for the insight. Where abouts is the cam sensor positioned? I think the knock sensor is under the Intake Manifold if I'm not mistaken.

I think it's around £100 per sensor which is going to be fun.

Thanks again

Yeah the knock sensor is under the inlet manifold and is a pain to get at.

Im not 100 percent on the cam position sensor but I think it is on the right hand side of the engine (looking at it from the front) by the airbox. Will have a look at mine tomorrow to see if I am correct to confirm.

I believe these are the sensors, you can see the blue clips.
7327425d8090aa36a9fc3a9394c2580a.jpg

Back