• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Vtec Smoking issue

I’m looking at purchasing an EP3 and was talking to a friend about certain things to look for when buying this car (as he also wants one in the future), and he said if/when you hit vtec when testing the car and it smokes, don't bother buying it. What causes this? Is this a big issue? Is it really game over if the Vtec smokes when buying one of these cars?
Novice post I know but just gathering info. Cheers

It's more of a B-series thing smoking on crossover. True though, if it smokes it's worth avoiding. It's not a cheap fix unless you're comfortable taking engines apart and rebuilding cylinder heads.

IIRC smokey vtec usually means a rebuild may be on the cards as it's burning oil past the rings or valves aren't sealing etc

It's more of a B-series thing smoking on crossover. True though, if it smokes it's worth avoiding. It's not a cheap fix unless you're comfortable taking engines apart and rebuilding cylinder heads.

More often than not on the B series (B18c4 I'm specifically referring to here) it's the PCV that causes that symptom.

haha nice moderation John

tenor.gif

Depends on the level of damage. Best case scenario it's just valve guides and seals, new set of piston rings. Less than £100 worth of parts probably, or there abouts. Labour wise you're talking 10+ hours. Worse case you're sending the head away for valve seats, re-hone the block, maybe even a skim. Probably £500 or so there. It's probably more cost effective to buy yourself a 2nd hand motor.

Back