• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 warranty claim valid?

my brother purchased his 09 ex demo fn2 about 3 months ago, now i had read that the paintwork on these cars wasn't good but the swirl marks are shocking. since hes had it hes washed the car exactly how i told him using snow foam, a meguiars wash mit, the two bucket method and aqua blade and drying towel so im pretty sure 95% of the swirls have come form else where. being an ex demo im guessing the salesman has taken it throught a car wash and unfortunately the car was purchased on a dull day and the swirls were not spotted. Anyways when he bought it the finance manager gave me a couple of bottles of diamond brite to try on my car. So as it was free i decided to give it a go and read on the bottle that a circular motion when applying should not be used as it can cause swirl marks. now my brothers car has been protected with this rip off crap although he didn't pay for it do you think he has a case to go back to them and get honda to sort out the paint? also i think it says that this product should protect against swirl marks. all opinions are welcome and appreciated.

They've probably washed it 'normally' with a sponge etc, and then applied the diamondbrite.

It will just seal in a poor finish. If the paint is not spot on before the diamondbrite, it certainly wont appear any better after.

It will need removing with a shampoo/apc mix and then machine polishing with a DA or rotary. Only then would I diamondbrite it.

TBH, I'd put my preferred wax or sealant on and just top it up every other month. :)

yeh thats what i do with my ep3, hes thinking about having the paint corrected by a good detailing company i know but they want near £500 for a full detail but theres my mate who does mobile repairs and wheel refurbishment who said he will mop the car fo £85 but to be honest i don't really trust him that much, i mean the detailing company do the works including snow foam , clay paint cleaner etc etc and i know there work is top noch but its alot to fork out when youv'e just bought a £16.5k car. i know whats probably caused it just want to know is there anyhting he could do before forking out of his own pocket.

you dont want to make it worse by having it done cheap. The paint is really thin from what i have read.

Friend of mine had this problem a couple of years back and he took it back to the dealer and told them it was unacceptable, but he'd only had it a week or so.

They sorted it out for him.

you dont want to make it worse by having it done cheap. The paint is really thin from what i have read.

If you mop it with a rotary you need to be careful.

A dual orbit [porter cable or megs g220] would be safer.

Then again - I have a paint thickness gauge when I'm detailing. Readings on mine are, yes a bit thin. Around 105 - 110 microns, but some areas on roof down to 90. :eek:

You'd hope to see 120 - 175 on modern cars.

You usually get about 50 micron of clearcoat, Honda dont seem as generous though.

hel be getitng it done professionally although i did consider doing it for him with a meguiars dual action g220 but dont think ** get as good a finish. so you think its too late even though this crap product states its suppose to prevent swirl marks?

prob gonna be hard to prove they used it and it caused it. They will more then likely suggest the new owner is responsible.

saying that nothing wrong with asking, just keep a face like an angry ross kemp. Always helps lol

hel be getitng it done professionally although i did consider doing it for him with a meguiars dual action g220 but dont think ** get as good a finish. so you think its too late even though this crap product states its suppose to prevent swirl marks?

Yep - too late. :(

Depending on your area of the country its worth checking on detailingworld.co.uk to see if there is a proven reputable pro nearby.

£500 sounds a lot. :eek: I did a Z4 a year ago for a friend for nowt. Then again he stuck a few quid under my keyboard when I got back to work :D Took me 13.5 hours but it looked like glass when it was finished. The paint is so soft and thin on the new Black CTR that you could even cause marring to the surface just by buffing off polish/wax.

Megs Last Touch as quick detailer with a plush microfibre. Mrs has a black Mitsubishi I detailed last April and it still looks about 80% as good as when it was first done. Only needs a tickle to get it looking spot on.

Unfortunately the paint work on new cars now is pretty poor, my wifes type s had a mop and complete valet through a local bodyshop who are a Honda approved agent before she sold it all for £110. The car came up as good as new, might be worth speaking to your local Honda dealer and get the details of their approved bodyshop.

Back