• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Watch "Ep3 hunting. Any advice?" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/GSzxgFfHBv8

So after the car has been in my garage for maybe 6 weeks. Thought i would give it a blast yesterday. However my battery was completely flat. So charged over night and took it out today. Revs are all over the place. That was after a 20 minute blast. Still the same as before. Not really used car at all since i bought it before xmas. As really its going to be used as a track car, but seemed jerky on the drive back lad who i bought it from said it was normal and commin with a spoon ported 70mm throttle body. When revs drop or driving at low speeds its jerky as hell. Very similar spec wise to my old one but that was smooth as hell in comparison. Car has 259bhp with lots mods. Any ideas guys

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

That would be my guess. Fairly cheap to do before you start looking at more expensive things like the throttle position sensor.

Ok is the iacv a diy job please?

Yes it can be done by a competent person. I cleaned mine last summer because my EP3 was hunting and it solved the problem.

There should be some threads on here as to doing it.

Ok thanks stu, but what was the idea of the ecu reset. Was that to do with something else

In the past when my EP3 had problems idling when stationary (revs dropping below 8-900rpm and almost stalling the car) i found that reseting the ECU and taking the car for a slow 10min drive to warm up then letting it idle until the fans come on solved the problem. I did this when i cleaned the IACV just to really let the ECU start with a clean slate so to speak. You don't have to do it but it doesn't do any harm tbh.

Ah ok. The revs on mine never drop that low its more from maybe 1200 to 2800ish. But i will give it a go cleaning over next couple days see if it sorts it

https://youtu.be/GSzxgFfHBv8

So after the car has been in my garage for maybe 6 weeks. Thought i would give it a blast yesterday. However my battery was completely flat. So charged over night and took it out today. Revs are all over the place. That was after a 20 minute blast. Still the same as before. Not really used car at all since i bought it before xmas. As really its going to be used as a track car, but seemed jerky on the drive back lad who i bought it from said it was normal and commin with a spoon ported 70mm throttle body. When revs drop or driving at low speeds its jerky as hell. Very similar spec wise to my old one but that was smooth as hell in comparison. Car has 259bhp with lots mods. Any ideas guys

Hi Jono

No K20 engine likes to be left standing for more than a few days and idle hunting is a common problem if the car is left unused, hopefully a good couple of blasts will sort the hunting out (it did for me when I came back from holiday) but if not then the IACV strip and clean out should solve the problem.

If you are going to be working away then I would get the wife to start the car every couple of days, let it warm up so that everything's up to temperature and then knock the ignition off.

Oversized throttle bodies and the Skunk2 in particular are known for being a bit sticky/jerky at low revs, there are quite a few threads about it on the net and American sites with it being a Skunk2 part, see the below email between me and Paul and TDi, I got used to it but the option to resolve it would be to source an OEM throttle body and get TDi to fit it and remap which would then would presumably smooth out the idle.

The joys of big throttle bodies unfortunately.

www.tdi-north.com
www.amdtuning.com
www.hondas-on-track.com

Sent: 25 February 2015 09:44
To:
[email protected]
Subject: RE: Pete's EP3

Hi Paul

That’s great, thanks for letting me know mate.

I will get it swapped over and the old one boxed up and sentback to you asap.

Don’t worry about the postage costs mate, not bothered aboutyour supplier but don’t want you to be out of pocket so I will cover the returncosts.

Whilst I am on mate. ever since I had my 70mm Skunk2 TB fittedthe acceleration in 1[SUP]st[/SUP], 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] and 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] can bereally jerky when having to release and put your foot back down on theaccelerator at slower speeds – just wondered if this was a common thing with oversizedTB’s in general or just something found with the Skunk2?

The engine ECU in the EP3 seems to have a short memory. Left unused for a few weeks it forgets it's learnt values. When you first start it up, it's relearning it's parameters for sensors and actuators like your idle air control. Idle is very erratic jumping around, but generally after a 10 min drive it sorts itself out.

Thanks but that vid clip was after maybe 15-20 mins. Will try n strip the iacv

Failing that i will take it to a local tuners. See if they can sort

So quick update. Decided to have a look at iacv this morning but thought id give it a blast first. 20 minutes later all is well again. So didnt actually get that far

I've got/had a similar issue, and would like to see if anyone has come across this in the past.

My idle would be fine for a minute or two, and then hunt between 1K and 3K going up and down constantly. I followed this guide:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=660756&highlight=iacv

When I took the IACV off the shaft that should spin was stuck solid. So after a lot of cleaning out and I mean a lot, it spins freely again. I put it althogether again, and also did the throttle heater by-pass mod. Inbtween I managed to lose one of the nuts that holds the TB on :evil:

Now the car idles at just 500 revs, and worse still VTEC will not engage. The car just bunces off the limiter at just under 6K.

So I'm lost as to whats happened. Is the IACV thats goosed, is it that with a nut missing its upsetting something, have I not put it back together correctly, has the by-pass mod upset something?

My starting point will be to strip it all back down again and look to see if there is anything not hooked up right, and replace the missing nut.

Right it seems an "Italian Tune Up" has solved the VTEC fault. It comes in as and when it should.

However now when out driving, if I allow the revs to drop to idle (say at a T junction etc), then the engine stalls. The rev's drop right off. Any ideas or is it new IACV time>

Whenever my EP3 struggles to idle properly at a junction and almost stalls it was usually right after the battery was disconnected.

How i solved it was to pull fuse 6 (ecu fuse) under the bonnet for a couple of mins then replace it and take the car for a 5-10 min normal drive (no vtec) with no electrics on like the radio / heaters or lights and then come to a stop but don't turn off the engine, let the car sit until the fans come on then switch off the car. Next time you turn the engine on it should idle properly. This process resets the ecu and it worked for me every time i had low idle problems.

Well I'm not sure if that worked, or it cured itself. I've just gone out to the car to do some more investigation work and the low idle is gone. Its back up to 750rpm, where it should be.

However now the car as a misfire and I got P0303 on the scan: Misfire Cyl. 3 Or Random Misfire

Now I'm stuck.

Back