• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC2 DB8 DC5 Water in your boot??? How to fix it..

I've been getting a small puddle in my boot, apparently this is a common problem with the DC5 and other Honda's (CRX's for example), the problem is the rear light cluster seals, so last weekend I had a go at fixing mine.

I thought I'd post up how I did it to help anyone else with the same problem.

First thing, remove the bumper, this is quite straight forward, just remove the 3 screws in each wheel arch and then the two bolts underneath, TOP TIP, remove the number plate first..
PA150977.jpg

Next, remove the light cluster, 4 nuts inside and 2 screws underneath, don't forget to disconnect the electrical plugs first.
PA160989.jpg

PA160990.jpg

Light cluster removed, you can see the neoprene gasket, this is the bit that fails and allows water into the boot, you could replace this or you can seal the gasket, I took the seal option.
PA150979.jpg

You can see in this pic by the dirt where the water has run down on top of the light cluster and past the gasket seal.
PA150980.jpg

Carefully remove the seal, take care as it can be stuck slightly to the cluster, I used a stanley blade to ease the stuck bits.
PA150981.jpg

One side of the gasket, you can see where it makes contact with the light cluster.
PA150982.jpg

The other side, you can see where it makes contact with the car bodywork.
PA150983.jpg

So I used some bathroom sealer I had kicking about but I guess any silicone sealer will do the job.
PA160985.jpg

I layed down a bead of sealer in the groove on the gasket.
PA160986.jpg

Then 'stuck' the gasket back onto the light cluster.
PA160987.jpg

I then put another bead of sealer on the gasket, this time on the area that contacts the bodywork.
PA160988.jpg

Refit the cluster, 4 nuts inside and 2 screws under, don't forget to reconnect the electrical plugs.
PA160989.jpg

PA160990.jpg

You can see the sealer has 'squashed' slightly, hopefully making a good seal.
PA160991.jpg

Now just the other side to do and refit the bumper.

We've had a couple of wet days and I've washed the car today and the boot is still dry so hopefully this has worked.

Hope this helps.

Rog.

I need to get round to doing this, i have bought the seals just not fitted them yet due to the two bolts underneth the car being rusted solid.

Holy thread revival!

Ive just found water in my boot :rolleyes:

My seal around the boot itself is ripped, could it be that instead of the light seal?

Could be, Mark.

I think it is, ive noticed water droplets coming from the side of the boot. I couldn't really check as it was to dark, i'll have another look tomorrow if i have time.

Ive pm'd Steeles see how much a seal is. Hope its just that, the seal above looks like too much work :lol:

Back