• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Water leak!!

Hi, I bought a new car yesterday and have been experiencing quite large water leaks randomly from the top of the water bottle where the pipe connects to it?

It wont do it for an hour or so and then ill stop and have a pool of water on the floor :(

Please help

enginebay.jpg

That's your expansion tank. Are you sure it isn't over full?

It should be between the min and max marks on the side of the bottle when the engine is cold.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Im not sure, Ive just had a look. I cant see the markers your referring to though??
Still trying to get used to where everything is lol.

The actual leak is coming from the rubber area where the black pipe connects to the top of the bottle, the same black pipe that goes up to by the rad cap.

Cheers

It sounds like it's over filled then. The markers are on the side of the bottle towards the bottom right as you look at it from the front. The level can be quite hard to see if the tank is a bit dirty.

Will it cause any problems if its overfilled or will it just keep draining out to the correct level?

It should find its own level. You really need to verify that the level is in fact high, though.

Try dipping the level with a clean oil dipstick or something similar. The level should be well below the neck of the tank.

There's a drawing in the owners manual that's shows the 'min' and 'max' marks.

Back