• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Weight saving, stripping, reduction

Also for the overweight people (even slightly) the best way is to lose weight yourself.

Considering 1 Stone = 6.3kg.

Over the last month and a half I've saved over 12kg.

I swear I can tell the difference in the Astra. Probably not though.

Rear wiper and motor will save you 1kg or so,
Buy some Lightweight wheels, oem wheels are heavy as fook
Remove Rear bench, plastics etc
Front doorcards
Front passenger side seat.
Run with limited fuel.
All car mats
Drain windscreen wash.
Buy carbon parts, bonnet Etc.
CD player/speakers.
All seatbelts apart from drivers ;)

That will get you started,
will Save a fair bit of weight

I've helped strip down my mates time attack car

Took literally everything out, from headlining down.

The carpet with sound deadening weighed a surprising amount

We even made a start on shaving the main wiring loom, no point in wires and plugs for airbags, heated seats etc

Once you've got rid of all the items you can unbolt or replace with lighter items, you can then get the hole saw out.

Drill out bigger panels inside to remove unneeded metal, remove door bars etc etc
Polycarbonate windows too...

You joke but Fuel is indeed very heavy.

1 litre = over 700g depending on temperature. I'd say probably around 725g as an average.

Whereas water = 1litre to 1kg.

So make sure your screen wash is empty!

I was sort of half joking :lol: didn't realise fuel was that much lighter than water though. I knew 1l=kilo in water, I just assumed it was a little less for fuel but not by 30%

Thanks for the posts, all very helpful, going to strip it probably January time, will take some before and after weights to see how I get on.

Running low fuel on a track day seems a little counter productive to me. Surly you need more fuel as you will be driving hard and burning through it at a rapid rate? Or you'll be off the track hunting for your jerry cans every other lap!

Yeah it's extreme. I am too lazy to even consider it.

Jerry cans are a must on some track days though. The pump price on track can be extortionate.

I'd say there's no harm in going out to do a session with 1/4 to 1/2 a tank, as you can just top the fuel back up if needed when you get back into the pits. You can't half feel the weight when your throwing it round a track on your first session and your tank is brimmed.

Do you know of any EP3's running 16's? Would like to get some wheel and tyres specs of what people are running.

I had a quick look on HOT but there didn't seem to be a whole lot going on there, chose this gaff as it seemed a lot busier. Will check their out again though soon as I get a chance.

Depends what you want, HOT is purely for information on trackdays and members cars who take them on track, so inevitably it will be quieter. There is a wealth of information there though from people who know what they are talking about when it comes to trackdays/racing.

Running low fuel on a track day seems a little counter productive to me. Surly you need more fuel as you will be driving hard and burning through it at a rapid rate? Or you'll be off the track hunting for your jerry cans every other lap!

True, I see between 10-15mpg on track, usual road driving is around 30mpg.

I'd say there's no harm in going out to do a session with 1/4 to 1/2 a tank, as you can just top the fuel back up if needed when you get back into the pits. You can't half feel the weight when your throwing it round a track on your first session and your tank is brimmed.

You really dont want to be suffering from fuel starvation on track and running out is even more of a no no. Its not a race, you cant time on a trackday so the minimal gains you will get from reducing fuel quantities are outweighed by people wanting to have a strong word with you when you cause a red flag by running out of fuel on track.

Depends what you want, HOT is purely for information on trackdays and members cars who take them on track, so inevitably it will be quieter. There is a wealth of information there though from people who know what they are talking about when it comes to trackdays/racing.
That's what I'm after to be honest, info from people who are actually doing it. I'll give on there another go :cool:

Back