• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Weird Kpro issue

I have obtained a second hand Kpro.
So last night I fitted it. I put on the base map as per K manager. Also ticked the flash EML on knock.
I started it up and all was ok, idle was a bit lumpy in comparison to the stock ECU. When I started to drive, the car felt very lumpy, lack of power, kinda retarded ignition. The EML light would flash on and off. Error was cylinder 1 issue.
I stopped, put on a New map. I now put on the RSX map, changing ECU type to 2.
This was as lumpy it with a new error code: the VSS was found to be inoperatable.
I have no idea. what the problem could be.

Anyone come across a similar problem?
It was like it was either under fuelled or retarded timing. But I am no mechanic.
However, I thought these were generic maps that can be put onto a stock car.

The Kpro/ECU is from what I believe a pre face and the my car is a 55 premier.
Should that make any difference?
Only mod is a tegiwa M intake.
I am stumped to say the least!

Any ideas? Can anyone help?

I'd say it was driving like shizzle as you are loading a map which is not suited to your mods/car

Get it mapped properly.

Exactly my thoughts. Ask whoever is going to map your car to send you a safe base map until you can get up to them for it to be done properly.

Yes guys,
A base map should still be as close to a standard ECU. However - not these. I only have a Teg M. Also - when i put the original ECU back in - it runs as it should. Yes i would like to get it mapped - but if it is running crap now, what guarantees do i have to say that i don't have an underlying issue or a duff kpro.
When others have loaded base maps - their cars have run reasonable well. I can't understand why it feels lethargic.

Exactly my thoughts. Ask whoever is going to map your car to send you a safe base map until you can get up to them for it to be done properly.
I will try to ask on here if someone has a map just for an air filter. This should help narrow things down. time for some fault finding.

looked at that already... it was bought from a genuine guy on CTRO. First thing i did when i got it was check it out. All genuine.

In that case it sounds very much like the maps you are using.

right - downloaded a map from Hondata. The idle was better and the engine was free revving. Will test drive later this evening

Leave the standard ecu in until you get mapped.

Fit everything except a manifold on with standard ecu.

So, test drove this new map from the Hondata forums, and it was beautiful. The midrange delivery was good. The power and torque was more evident.
However, the vtec crossover is smooth. Now this feels nice but I am so used to the little jerk as vtec engages. Apart from that, it was great. Now that I am on the right track now, get the mods on and rolling road tune. :d

Turns out that the recommended maps just didn't work with my car. Can't wait till the real tune map is done.

That's the problem, mapping cars is massively down to the individual engine, tends to be why most of the time people buy all the individual bits and get them fitted and mapping done together.

Oh and iirc the VTEC jerk is actually not ideal, it's more to give people that VTEC 'kick' and a better map would have a much smoother transition.

Last edited by a moderator:
That with bells on.

I wouldn't run the car for a great deal of time without getting it mapped by a professional tuner.

It's fine to run the car with a generic map whilst you're waiting to fit your mods. I ran the rsx coldair map for nearly a year with no problems, then got sent a decent map for all the bolt ons including RBC and decat race header. Ran that for 4/5 months no issues, when it was put on the dyno it's was fine, not perfect, but safe.

I've got 2 friends with CTRs and all bolt ons running the same map I had and their cars run fine. Slightly rich to keep it safe, but better than being lean, and they pull really well.

Back