• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Weird noise when starting??

Hey all,

I got a bit of an issue with my EP3, when I start my car after its been sat for like 6 or so hours, it starts fine but it makes a weird noise as if I am holding the key to the start posting for too long or it sounds as if the starter motor ticks over too much.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Please let me know.
Many thanks
TheDon

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4

Common problem on the K20 engines cars, have a search around as it's been covered a few times.

Apparently it's the pin not disengaging quickly enough after starting, you can change the starter but it probably won't be long before it starts making the same noise again. My car does the same, as above that's what I've read elsewhere on the forum.

Only seems to be when cold/damp from what I remember. Unless it's doing it every single start, I wouldn't worry too much.

If it's from cold does it sound more like a rattle or more like the starter over clocking. I have the same issue from cold and it's the timing chain tensioner (had hoped it was the starter motor but when purposely turning the key with the engine on to check the sound it's different). Again tensioners are known to go on the ep3's

Back