• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Weird overheating problem??

I have a small issue with my Type R.

It keeps overheating!!!

Its strange though because its very intermittent, and 99% of the time it happens when the car is stationary.

I can drive 50 miles to work and back, no overheating.. and get to a set of traffic lights and it will creep up toward three quarters...?

It also sometimes pushes water out of the overflow tank..

There is no white in the oil nor is it blowing white smoke.

The only other thing I have noticed if it helps any of you to assess the problem, is that around the radiator cap and where water has leaked out, it has left a bronze color substance. It almost looks like copper grease? My mate thinks it may be "radweld" because I have only bought the car in the last month? Could it be a radiator leak that is getting worse?

Any comments would be appreciated.

A bit annoyed :(

I don't know why it's overheating, but it will do it more when stationary as it's got no airflow to cool it. If the temperature starts to creep up, whack the heating blowers on full to take some heat out of the bay until you can get it sorted.

Does the cooling fan come on ? if not then it could be the thermostat switch that is faulty.
Worth checking the fuse for it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ defo sounds like the fan mate if its only when your stationary, go for a blast, get it right up to temp, come back park and pull up, leave it running, open the bonnet and within 2-3 (if not almost immediately) minutes the fan should cut in.
If it doesnt, this could be the fan, or the thermostat.
To test the fan, undo the coupler, and with a battery and two pieces of wire, put a positive and negative in the terminals, it should work. If it doesn't (first make sure you have done the live and earth the right way round, red is usually live) its broke.
If it does work, its probs your thermostat. in which case you'll need a new one, not too expensive and pretty easy to do..

Hi thanks for all the replies. Ive done as suggested and the fan does come on for a short amount of time.

A little update though:

Ive noticed that when the car starts to overheat, revving the car brings the temperature down???

Id get a compression test done if I was you.

This is exactly what happended in Si's ATR and it was the head gasket :(

It is very rare for it to go on the K20 though so fingers crossed for you its a simple fix.

another update:

Checked the rad and the water was low even though the overflow was showing a decent level. The rad took nearly 3 pints!!!

The problem has gone for now, took it for a spirited drive and even left it stood still for a good 15 mins and no overheating.

Had very same problem in my 106 gti temp kept going right up get yourself some RADIATOR FLUSH put bottle in run till its HOT couple of times then empty system flush with water then add anti-freeze coolant i put deionised water instead of normal water an worked a treat temp never went over half even in traffic. :D

Back