• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Well done that man

Robbed from CTRO but I think its amazing....

theta said:
Name of the project was to install DIY-style a Quaife ATB LSD, Clutch Masters FX300 and ACT Prolite 8.8lbs flywheel without previous experience :lol:

Here we go...

First, I bought a new Quaife ATB:
001_quaife_arrived_1.sized.jpg

002_quaife_arrived_2.sized.jpg

Then I bought a cheap unused transmission from a local Honda racing dealer.. not necessary but anyways. I dismantled the tranny in preparation for Quaife installation:
004_assembling_1.sized.jpg

A machining shop removed the vss gear and final gear from the old differential, installed them on the Quaife and pressed new bearings:
003_quaife_and_final_gear.sized.jpg

Then I carefully reinstalled the Quaife+Final gear back in to the tranny:
006_assembling_3.sized.jpg

Don't forget this gear unless you decide you don't need the reverse gear anymore :D
005_assembling_2.sized.jpg

Added some liquid gasket and installed the case:
007_assembling_4.sized.jpg

Then I had to put the tranny away while waiting for the clutch to arrive:
008_assembling_5.sized.jpg

Finally, the Clutch Masters FX300 kevlar -clutch and pressure plate arrived:
009_cm_fx300.sized.jpg

I had bought the ACT Prolite flywheel earlier:
010_act_prolite.sized.jpg

Then it was time to eat the brave pills and attack the car with all the tools I've got :lol: I started by loosening the 36mm hub spindle nuts while the car was still on the ground:
011_loosening_spindle_nuts.sized.jpg

I set up the rest area and opened up the service manual from the laptop 8)
012_service_manual.sized.jpg

Then it was time to jack the car up. And this time I raised it as high as I possibly could with jacks and stands.
013_jacking_1.sized.jpg

I could almost sit under the car. This was the first time that I had no space problems while working under the car :lol:
014_jacking_2.sized.jpg

Removed the front wheels:
016_wheels_removed.sized.jpg

Took the battery and the AEM CAI out:
015_battery_removed.sized.jpg

Brakes off, not necessary but makes the job a tiny bit easier further down the road:
017_brakes_removed.sized.jpg

Ripped off the anti-roll bar from the endlinks and bushings and let it hang over the exhaust manifold.
018_arb_removed.sized.jpg

Removed the splash shield:
019_splash_shield_removed.sized.jpg

Disconnected all wiring from the tranny (VSS, reverse sensor, reverse gear lock solenoid):
020_connectors_removed_1.sized.jpg

021_connectors_removed_2.sized.jpg

Disconnected the shifter cables:
022_cables_removed.sized.jpg

Removed the clutch slave cylinder:
023_slave_cylinder_removed.sized.jpg

Supported the engine with a jack and block of wood. Also drained the tranny of fluid:
024_engine_supported.sized.jpg

Removed the two upper transmission bolts:
025_upper_tranny_bolts.sized.jpg

Removed the upper tranny mount:
026_tranny_mount_1.sized.jpg

027_tranny_mount_2.sized.jpg

Removed the shift cable brackets:
028_brackets_removed.sized.jpg

Removed the 36mm hub spindle nuts:
029_spindle_nuts_removed_1.sized.jpg

030_spindle_nuts_removed_2.sized.jpg

Disconnect the front lower control arms from the subframe:
031_separating_lca_1.sized.jpg

032_separating_lca_2.sized.jpg

Then I carefully pulled from the hub while banging the driveshaft out of the hub with a plastic hammer:
033_removing_driveshafts_1.sized.jpg

Then I used a prybar to remove the left driveshaft from the transmission (do not pull on the driveshaft!):
034_removing_driveshafts_2.sized.jpg

I then removed the right driveshaft together with the intermediate shaft:
035_removing_driveshafts_3.sized.jpg

Removed the four subframe bolts and dropped the subframe on my forehead :lol:
036_subframe_dropped.sized.jpg

Removed the rear engine mount & esmm's:
037_rear_engine_mount_removed.sized.jpg

Removed the front engine mount:
038_front_engine_mount_removed.sized.jpg

Then I removed a couple of more bolts from around the transmission and pulled the transmission away and out from the engine bay:
039_tranny_removed.sized.jpg

Installing the new clutch and flywheel was very easy, here's the old clutch and pressure plate:
040_clutch_removed.sized.jpg

Then I ripped out the stock flywheel with a 17mm 12-point socket. The bolts are fairly tight so I had to jam the engine from the crankshaft pulley nut with a socket and a big ass breaker bar since I didn't want to buy the Honda ring gear holder:
041_flywheel_removed.sized.jpg

Installed the new ACT flywheel, cleaned it with brake cleaner first:
042_act_prolite_installed.sized.jpg

Add one clutch and pressure plate using the alignment tool:
043_clutch_installed.sized.jpg

VSS-sensor, engine mount bracket and some other stuff was swapped from the old tranny on to the new one:
044_tranny_prepared.sized.jpg

I then used a nice electric truck to lift the transmission up and mount it to the engine. Too bad that I forgot one of the dowel pins on the first try and couldn't get the tranny installed.. this cost me few hours of hard manual labor :oops:
045_tranny_install.sized.jpg

After this it was just a matter of reinstalling all the removed stuff in reverse order, add some redline oil in the tranny, bleed and adjust the clutch, read some prayers and hit the road for a test drive :lol:

I guess if you work your ass of and don't face any problems you could do this project in about 8-10 hours on the first try. I guess it took something like double that for me on the first try since I worked alone and forgot the damn dowel pin :x

Hope you liked the pics, I sure as hell didn't enjoy "preparing the car" for the shots :lol:

Holly shit.....that must be the bravest man I have ever seen :shock: :shock: :shock:

That is good work.....big round of applause for that man 8)

Wouldn't fancy sitting under it though :?

That is amazing work for a home mechanic well done!!!

Although I'm happy to have a crack at most things dropping the gearbox is where I would draw the line I think.

Allready replied on CTRO but amazing feat to be honest.

when people also complain about fitting costs of LSD, Clutch etc etc and also say Im having a LSD and dont bother getting a uprated Clutch at the same time, im sure they can now understand the labour involved and the work.

I know after a few you will get the hang of it but there still a bloody lot to get your head round.

Did he use a forklift to lift his that high to get the stand underneath it!! :lol:

it amazing what he accompolished

Awesam said:
Did he use a forklift to lift his that high to get the stand underneath it!! :lol:

it amazing what he accompolished

Just you don't be getting any ideas the next time you come round to mine!!!

Neily03 said:
014_jacking_2.sized.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Good work that man! :twisted:

Obviously not from Liverpool then, the alloys are still there :lol: :lol: :lol:

- Kevin.

This man also fitted his super charger :twisted:

And I was proud with what I did :oops: :lol:

I changed my wiper blades today.. I shuold have got some photos done :lol:

That guy is incredible. :shock: :shock:

:shock: :shock: Fair play for having the balls to give it a go! Top job that man! 8) 8)

omg. :shock: he's a genius mechanic. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That must mean I'm a retarded mechanic. :oops:

Back