• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Well I think the clutch has finally had enough...

On the way home tonight I had to stop off @ a garage and pick up some bits for the mrs... On the bypass before the 24hr garage I overtook a car (bit of 2nd and 3rd gear vtec) and once I got into the garage there was smoke and the smell of burning was hurrendous! I noticed that the oil temp looked to have dropped very slightly and every time I pressed the clutch pedal in it started squealing and the revs were dropping slightly!?

Am I right in thinking it is the clutch or something much more severe?

I drove it back from the garage very slowly and noticed it was difficult to get it into gear (even @ low revs) and as soon as I got home I put it into neutral and just pressed the clutch a couple of times and noticed it was squeaking and the revs were rough etc...

The car has just clocked 92k...

Thanks in advance

Ash

Has the clutch been changed before? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought clutches should be replaced around 60k. Obviously each car is driven differently so some may have longer lives than others.

As far as I know it's on the standard clutch... I was advised @ Honda that they tend to go between 50-100k I've got a new clutch kit at home so in some ways I'm hoping it is the clutch!!!

Has the clutch been changed before? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought clutches should be replaced around 60k. Obviously each car is driven differently so some may have longer lives than others.

I'm surprised by that..I did over 110k on mine and it was still good when I sold it.

I take it you have a seperate oil temp gauge??

A clutch failure won't effect oil temp.

Nor should depressing the clutch have any effect on engine speed.
The squeak sounds like it could be a bearing failure?

I would suggest some sort of clutch problem, but what, I can't say....

Some clutches can last 100K plus, others significantly less.

Usually though, with these cars, 60-70k is around average.

Back