• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What are the hidden costs (if any) of running a JDM type R?

My insurance is up for renewal in June and if i can get a good price on a group 20 import i will start to look for an early EP3 or DC5.

I think i can get an EP3 for around 7.5k and maybe a DC5 for 8k.

I want to know what if any implications there are with having an import car. Is the tax more? How do you get on with MOTs and parts for repairs?

thanks.

My insurance is up for renewal in June and if i can get a good price on a group 20 import i will start to look for an early EP3 or DC5.

I want to know what if any implications there are with having an import car. Is the tax more? How do you get on with MOTs and parts for repairs?

thanks.

I've written quite a bit about issues with import cars but a few days ago.

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?68443-Help-thinking-of-buying-an-Integra-Type-R-DC5

The tax band depends on when the car was imported and who imported it. I would guess if you're going for the cheaper end of the market, you'll probably get a car registered as PLG which is the best tax band you could hope for.

The K20a engine has a higher compression ration than the K20a2, so arguable it will be slightly more thirsty, however having owned both variations, I can confirm that there's nothing in it and it all basically boils down to how heavy your right root is.

Parts can be a PITA to get if there are none in stock in the UK. After that it's a 2-3 day wait for them to come over from their main depot in Belgium, or if you're really unlucky an eight week wait from Japan. The parts aren't cheap either (a JDM EP3 will share many with the Euro EP3 though). As an example, a front bumper for an EP3 supplied painted from Honda is around £250. You can double that for a DC5 bumper. Don't even ask how much a C Pack rear windscreen costs either :eek:.

Servicing costs should be the same. Some dealers will do them on a S2000 schedule though for some reason?

thanks.

You've already highlighted the major difference which is insurance.

The only other implication is if you were to try and part exchange it later on down the line. The motor trade dislike imports but most people tend to sell on privately anyway.

I've owned an EP3 and now own a DC5. The difference I have noticed in the years ownership is only insurance. I am in Norwich and currently toying with the idea of flogging my DC5. Did you want to meet up to have a look round mine. It will be in your budget as well.

I've written quite a bit about issues with import cars but a few days ago.

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?68443-Help-thinking-of-buying-an-Integra-Type-R-DC5

The tax band depends on when the car was imported and who imported it. I would guess if you're going for the cheaper end of the market, you'll probably get a car registered as PLG which is the best tax band you could hope for.

The K20a engine has a higher compression ration than the K20a2, so arguable it will be slightly more thirsty, however having owned both variations, I can confirm that there's nothing in it and it all basically boils down to how heavy your right root is.

Parts can be a PITA to get if there are none in stock in the UK. After that it's a 2-3 day wait for them to come over from their main depot in Belgium, or if you're really unlucky an eight week wait from Japan. The parts aren't cheap either (a JDM EP3 will share many with the Euro EP3 though). As an example, a front bumper for an EP3 supplied painted from Honda is around £250. You can double that for a DC5 bumper. Don't even ask how much a C Pack rear windscreen costs either :eek:.

Servicing costs should be the same. Some dealers will do them on a S2000 schedule though for some reason?

The waiting for parts is a bit of a concern. I wont get serviced at a dealer so that won't matter to much.

I've owned an EP3 and now own a DC5. The difference I have noticed in the years ownership is only insurance. I am in Norwich and currently toying with the idea of flogging my DC5. Did you want to meet up to have a look round mine. It will be in your budget as well.

I could well be interested, is it CW with red?

I need to sell my EP3 first and have money in another car which will be going up for sale in the next week. Once they are sold i will have the money ready and if you still have it and want to sell i would be very interested.

CW C-pack with red interior. I have no idea what to do yet, but having someone interested in it give me an incentive to sell you see.

Would you like to meet up for a nose round it?

yea that would be cool, just as long as you know i wont be in a position to buy until i have sold the two cars.

Back