• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What Brakes and Discs?

Hi there I'm new to site and Type R, i have an 09 FN2 GT and was looking to get some better brakes and pads put on, I'm not great technically guys so i apologise just lol also was looking to change footwell light to LED can this be done and how.

Thanks in advance

Smudge

Thank you very much Loxy are there any suppliers on the site for these type of discs and pads ? also can i just ask lol sorry I'm not great with fitting things and generally new to this the footwell lights are they easy to fit (for the normal person) and where could i possibly view a video of it lol.

Again many thanks for your help

Smudge

Loxy can the back lighting display be changed or is there a setting to change the colour on an FN2 ?

Kind regards

Smudge

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no button.

A chap on here called Zircon Duffy changed his by stripping the dash and colouring over the LED tracks. A lot of work, but it looked well.

The OEM disks are generally pretty good for road use.

You can get better pads though like Ferodo DS2500s, or Project Mu that Hendy in the Traders Section have started selling.

With regards to footwell kits, we sell them here: http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?93252-Return-of-the-Footwell-Lighting-Kits

Loxy I've been on YouTube to see some pads and s few of the cars with your pads seem squeely what's your take on ebc pads or is the noise from pads related to the roters ?

DS2500s only squeal when they aren't bedded in properly and aren't fitted with the OEM pad shims.

EBC aren't rated on Type Rs, weak pad and you hardly ever see positive feedback.

Loxy I've been on YouTube to see some pads and s few of the cars with your pads seem squeely what's your take on ebc pads or is the noise from pads related to the roters ?

so I should be ok with fedoro pads and will I get solid or slotted discs ?

Either or really. If you like the look of grooved, go for it but they won't make a huge difference from normal blanks.

DS2500s can be quite dusty. People have tried the Project Mu pads give off less dust.

I had 2500's in mine, and changed to PBS from Areamotorsport. Cold bite is far better than the 2500's, and they stood up to a beating on full weight and ns2r's lap after lap at Donington. Longest session in the semi dry was 40mins, until I chewed through the rear oe's. I won't be going back to the 2500's.

I don't like 2500's. I don't know why they get recommended so much. Maybe because people haven't tried any of the much better pads that are around.

I did like the 2500's but could be noisy at times and honestly the Dixcel fast road pads I am using at the moment match the 2500's
They are half the price, not specified as well on paper but have no noise or hardly any dust but are just as good for my braking needs on the road and I often brake fairly heavy.
For the track I would go for something much better.

I think that's it, lack of comparison. I've only had the PBS and 2500's in there. From what I've read, PBS are comparable to a more premium pad, carbone lorraine for example. CL are very expensive in dc5 Brembo fitment, PBS are very nicely priced.

DS2500 are good for fast road and some track action. I killed a set of DS2500 in one day at Snetterton.
I now use Carbotech. Mega bucks for a pad (£180) but well worth it if you're a track goer

Hi guys , new to this site . I'm looking to upgrade my ep front brakes thinking of going for brembo dc5 4pts are they a straight swap? Also what's the biggest disc under 17" rims , I presume floating in better? Cheers.

DC5 calipers and S2000 discs fit straight on. What discs is up to you but you won't be able to go BMW bigger without fabricating your own brackets for the calipers.

You'll also need spacers to clear the OEM wheels.

DC5 calipers and S2000 discs fit straight on. What discs is up to you but you won't be able to go BMW bigger without fabricating your own brackets for the calipers.

You'll also need spacers to clear the OEM wheels.

Cool, what size are the s2000 disc i was thinking of fitting big brembo discs under them vented floating ones.

Back