• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

what cams

hi
looking at purchasing cams
was looking at skunk 2 stage 2/3 will be running hopefully a ported head and ported rbc inlet with a 70mm tb and 421 mani
want as much as power as sensibly possible hence me looking at stage 3 but i have read the stock engine cant run stage 3 properly and will make more power with stage 2
any help will be greatly appreciated
i have also read that skunk 2 cams give alot of bother with chain slap and also damaging engines but you cant believe all you read
is this true ? if so what cams are the best
thanks

It would be good to know the use case and specifics of the motor youre running, you spec the cams to the engine cc, compression and typical rpm range in most cases.

Skunk2 cams reported as giving chain slap hadn't been setup properly with an adjustable cam gear IIRC.

You will need decent valve springs and it would be advisable to have an uprated tensioner and cam chain.

Assuming your engine is stock?

thought i made it clear sorry
the engine basics will be stock besides the mods i have stated
the motor not be a full daily but will get a fair bit of driving

For an EP3, cheap and OEM solution are FD2/DC5/FN2 cams. You`ll get a huge gain in the midrange as well as good gains up higher. No need to upgrade valvetrain and chain tensioner etc, just a small bump to your CR at 11,5 to get them working. Then there`s TODA. A2 or A3 are the best for the K engines. Unsurpassed quality and durability, huge gains. Need upagrading to TODA valve springs, chain and tensioner and surely a thinner head gasket.
edit:just noticed you mentioned head work; IMO head is great for your use. better invest in a serious exhaust mani or coilovers with the money you save.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have dc5 cams fitted, they do give more power but not massive ammounts of difference, but i was getting cam chain and tensioner done and got the cams for decent price so thought why not.

I think if i was to do it all again i would of went for better cams like the TDI north ones. i have dc5 cams, 421 japspeed, teg m, RBC, spoon bpipe, oem backbox and got 245.5bhp at TDI.

see if i am going to change the cams i want to do it once if you know what i mean ?
i dont see the point in changing them twice or three times to get the results i want
has anyone a got stage 2/3 cams
if so what bhp are you running and what make ??
thanks

see if i am going to change the cams i want to do it once if you know what i mean ?
i dont see the point in changing them twice or three times to get the results i want
thanks
to be fair that`s the best example. only 2 or 3 other cars have made that power, but they average at 255~260 peak depending on other mods.
-RBC
-Dc Sports Exhaust Manifold
-Injen CAI (76mm)
-Custom Exhaust Manifold & Catback (70mm)
-Toda Camshafts A3
-Toda Valve Springs
-Toda Head Gasket 0.3mm
-Toda Cam Chain
-Toda Tensioner
-J's Throttle Body 70mm
-Oem Retainers
- Rdx 410cc
-Hondata K-Pro
2ndstage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
FN2 but...

HKS RSK with Driven Crazy Scoopin
RRC inlet manifold with Hondata gasket
FD2 throttle body (DBW so you don't want this TB)
FD2 oil pump conversion
Tegiwa race manifold
Magnex cat back
Skunk2 Pro series valve springs with K20Z base kit
Clockwise Motion tensioner

With Skunk2 stage 1s:
247bhp/180ftlb

Skunk2s.jpg

TDi-North stage 1 cams:
260bhp/180ftlb
(Dotted line was a similar car on DC5/FD2 cams)

tdi1.jpg

TDi-North 1 off stage 2 cams
(can't say what they were based on as Paul doesn't want me to, but they've been mention in this thread, very popular JDM cams):
256bhp/179ftlb

Dynoday2012-1.jpg

They really needed the CR upping to get them singing but I didn't get round to it before I sold the car.

I would avoid recent A3 cams tbh. Toda has moved production away from Japan And core quality has dropped. I've seen pics of 3 faulty cores with severe lobe damage using toda valve train.

I don`t know about moving they`re production line but it`s a matter of raw material? Then again honda started producing cars in Swindon..... Seriously now, lobe damage is most frequent due to hard valve springs. I have seen same reports on toda, mostly B used with hard supertech or ferrea springs.
Loxy what are the TDI cam specs?

This was on todas valve train on all instances. Even the replacement cams from Toda done the same thing.

Owners swapped brands of sticks and the problem went away

thanks

8581100690_dc8d6333b4_c.jpg

Stock k20a2 block (EP3 Type R)
3.5" intake w/ bpi stack
Spoon HG
70mm tb
Skunk2 IM
Prayoonto stg2 cams
PLM header
3" exhaust

Runs 13.4 @ 106 on street tyres

Loxy what are the TDI cam specs?

The ones on the 2nd graph (Stage 1s)? No idea, best to contact TDi.

They are DICs though, no valve train upgrades needed unless you want to rev them out.

Back