• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What else can I do apart from forced induction???

Hi everyone just want some of your expertise on what else I can do to get more power out my ep3 before I go for either supercharger or turbo! At the moment im running a Typhoon induction, Hks hi power exhaust system, Decat mani along with a k100 remap and its putting out 245 atm! What else can I do to gain more power?? Budget is not a problem atm. Thanks!

Uprate your induction - Typhoons are naff, an intake manifold would be next, them cams IMO.

As above, get a good induction, RBC or Skunk2 inlet then cams. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends how much power you want and if you want to keep it n/a. As said above you could get a good induction kit like Gruppe m, larger throttle body, intake manifold then cams. After this internal work valves, pistons etc. If you wanted to go more and keep it n/a look at stroker kits etc. Stroker kit should see you increase capacity to a 2.2 litre. Otherwise charger or turbo.

Bigger TB not really needed for N/A IMO. Very marginal gains to be had and can cause problems with throttle response. Just ask Chop.

Also, most cams require head work - valves, retainers and springs. The only true drop in cams are the JDMs which won't give huge gains. Other stage 1 cams have been known to cause problems on a standard valve train, despite the manufacturers claiming they are drop in cams. Loxy warned me of this as I was thinking of going stage 1 cams on standard valvetrain.

First off I'd look at induction kits, AEM CAI, Gruppe M or Teg M are the most popular/best performing kits.

Personally I'd be looking at improving handling rather than power output... Slippy Diff for one, not sure what your susspension & brakes are up to but FRSU, uprated brake pads, fluid and braided lines are a good improvement. If you get a diff done, get a lightweight flywheel and maybe even a stage 1 clutch (although personally I prefer OEM clutch for 250ish BHP.)

You'll have to make your own mind up on the intake manifold, you might see a few bhp and a smidge of torque but nothing drastic. Cams are the biggest power N/A mod you can do from the stage you're at. You could see high 250s to low 270s

If you want to be the coolest man in town, get individual throttle bodies. They don't make great power, they eat fuel but the sound the nuts and look 8)

Aye, the Skunk2 Stage 1 cams needs uprated springs and chain tensioner really and ideally could really do with setting up properly using adjustable cam verniers.

I knew about the springs, found out about the tensioner! :lol:

There are some good drop in cams about though, but do your homework before taking the plunge!

You'll also get more power with stage 2 cams, but then you really do need springs, retainers, chain and tensioner upgrading and by the time you've spent that, you'll have nearly spent what it costs for a charger conversion. I like NA though, so that's where I'm at. ;)

If i was you i'd get an RRC inlet and a set of cams (Tdi drop in), dont bother with throttle body! :smt023

Thanks guys, i think im going to change the Typhoon to be fair when i got the k100 the bloke was saying it got quite warm and as you know warm air means less power so i think im going to go more towards the AEM intake!?! and ive been looking into the RBC inlet mani along with a 70mm throttle body! i just want to get the best out of it before i make my mind up with turbo or supercharger.

an RRC from an FD2 would be better if your budget would stretch to it along with tdi drop in cams and you will see 260-270hp and plenty of torque. whats the car going to be used for??

its an Ep3. and i dont really know yet atm its just my everyday car, dont think im gonna strip it out or anything.......yet!! i just want a little more power and love seeing people reactions when its quicker than what the thought ha.

i wouldnt go for forced induction personally, it becomes more of a straightline powerhouse and will lose its capability in the corners greatly and wont be so good in wet conditions either. If you do decide to go for it though make sure you've upgraded all the brakes and handling mods first though. Im more than happy with the power i have and it's still excellent as my daily drive :)

i have no idea whats next for power but don't waste money tuning it n/a if you want forced induction long term. i wasted a few thousand tuning my mini when that could have meant me charging it sooner and not having to remove some of the things i did like shorter ratio final drive etc

Ive just fitted the aem cai!! I must say it sounds better but I cant notice the power difference but im sure its a lot better!

Ive just fitted the aem cai!! I must say it sounds better but I cant notice the power difference but im sure its a lot better!

When I had my typhoon and changed it to TegM, I felt strong/better throttle response.

You gonna be puddle dodger now! :)

Stand back. Take a long hard look at your car. You need more power. Why?

Boost on FWD is a very expensive route.

Do you like it cornering or straight line?

Me personally if you're looking for more power, sell it and buy something else. Evo's are cheap. When you realise how expensive they are to run sell it and go back to an EP3 that is exactly like yours now and be happy with the power vs mpg.

Im always a puddle Dodger anyway ha and if im honest I. Love Hondas and ive had my ep3 for almost 3 years now and ive kept it standard until the last few months. Im not trying to change it into a diff car just trying to spruce it up a bit nothing ridiculous

In that case lighter flywheel and final drive. Up rate the clutch while you're in there.

I assume you've already lowered and FRSU? If not that should be your next job.

Also echo what other people say about the intake. GruppeM or Tegiwa best, AEM long ram is a good choice IMO. The difference is marginal but if you can definitely GruppeM.

Sorry TL;DR did you up rate your exhaust? You can gain a few ponies there with a better aftermarket exhaust. Spoons are good but loud 102db ish so trackdays will be a no go. Toda exhausts are good too.

Just get a second hand JRSC. 300bhp and if you dont like it you will make your money back.

Yeah its on lowered springs and I have a hks straight through system with a decat mani! And yeah ive defo been thinking about the supercharger....but im planning a re-spray 1st then think of forced induction after!

Back