• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

what exactly does the law state about de-catting???

im considering a decat soon but im not sure what happens if i get cauhgt without one. about once every 2 months the local police have random stop checks were they pull vehicles in and let the vehicle inspectorate have a look at them. ive been stopped this year in the works van for a cheak over and they check EVERYTHING. dip then tanks, bulbs etc, its as good as a roadside MOT. if i got caught running without cat do you get fined or do you just get a defective vehicle notice etc which you have to get sorted within 7 days then get it retested etc?? if the worst comes to the worst ill have a seperate kpro map done and only fit the decat for trackdays etc and refit it for commuting etc. also does anyone know if its the same abroad. hopefully im going over to the 'ring again next year. can the foriegn police impound your car for it not having a cat???

thanks

One thing to bear in mind is that it will invalidate your insurance as it is illegal to run without a Catalytic Convertor, as it will fail an MOT.

I asked Adrian Flux if they would cover me if I de-catted my Saxo and there reply was as stated above.

You could argue, would they ever know, but I'd rather not take the risk personally :wink:

Bazzer said:
One thing to bear in mind is that it will invalidate your insurance as it is illegal to run without a Catalytic Convertor, as it will fail an MOT.

I asked Adrian Flux if they would cover me if I de-catted my Saxo and there reply was as stated above.

You could argue, would they ever know, but I'd rather not take the risk personally :wink:

Baz,

I sometimes think Flux don't know what the're on about. I had a decat pipe declared on my modded Pug 206GTi with Flux, and then declared again with my CTR. No problems, although never made a claim.

I'm now with Greenlight, and have declared my DC Race header with no problems there.

Jon

JonCTR said:
Bazzer said:

Baz,

I sometimes think Flux don't know what the're on about. I had a decat pipe declared on my modded Pug 206GTi with Flux, and then declared again with my CTR. No problems, although never made a claim.

I'm now with Greenlight, and have declared my DC Race header with no problems there.

Jon

Thats consistency for you. Don't you just love insurance companies. :lol:

MrZippo said:
So its ok to decat???

I suppose the consensus it dependent upon what your insurance company decides.

My views are that is it illegal as your car wouldn't pass the MOT without one. Also the DC Race Header, are insurance companies aware that this decats the car. Its all well and good telling them your replacing the header with a trick one, but do they know how it improves the cars performance? I'm just asking the question here, not stating a fact :wink:

Think it also depends on your insurance company, and how honest you want to be on power gains. I've made my insurers aware that mine will be running approx 240 bhp fly with all mods and DCRH (just run a 242 bhp fly / 195 bhp wheels last weekend), so was pretty close.

With Flux and my decat pipe prior to DCRH, I declared approx 230bhp fly (ran a 229bhp fly / 185 bhp wheel on same dyno as above).

As I said, with Flux, i specifically wrote decat pipe on my modified vehicle report form for both my 206GTi and CTR

Jon

I know its illegal from the MOT point of view, but unless you are stopped and tested at the roadside who knows? You can find a friendly garage or fit the cat back on for MOT.
Remember speeding is always illegal but i'm sure 90% of us aint to bothered untill we get caught!!
Only my opinion of course.
AC :)

Yes, as long as my insurance is valid with a decat (which my insurers say it is), I'm not worried about the legalities of running a decated car, that should be running a cat.

Jon

Back