• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What happens if this bolt comes loose?

Hi all

I went down a very bumpy road earlier and afterwards my right suspension shock/spring was really sounding unhealthy. I managed to get home by which time it really did sound like something was going to fall off.

I jacked the car up & found this bolt very loose, problem is i can't seem to get it as tight as i would like as cant get underneath it properly.

Is it an allen key i need to use? :confused:

i've only managed to tighten it with a pair of pliers which has solved the bits about to fall of my car noise, which is good :) but need to get it tighter.

Any idea's anyone.......????

100_2952.jpg

100_2955.jpg

looks like an allen head. best get it checked out asap.

Try the same first picture again but use the macro setting, it should take a better pic

l
Try the same first picture again but use the macro setting, it should take a better pic

My camera cuts out when you use the macro button :lol:

TGM has only looked over it a month ago as i had a problem with that side of my suspension. They sprayed some silicone grease up near my top mount i think that it must have seaped down through and loosened the bolt. I am 35mm low so all the vibrations coupled with the silicone grease must have worked it loose.

I just went out for a drive then & it sounded better than it ever, as i have always had a little rattlling from that side since lowering.

I have asked my old man to get all his allen keys out as none of mine fit it, if i can't get one i will be off to B&Q or try my local garage Monday.

Would still like to know exactly what that bolt does do though??????

There is no mention of this bolt.

However I would guess it must hold the damper.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-10-10 at 20.38.55.png
    Screen shot 2009-10-10 at 20.38.55.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Screen shot 2009-10-10 at 20.39.20.png
    Screen shot 2009-10-10 at 20.39.20.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 9
Mine are Koni shocks maybe the OEM don't use them thats why they are not in your diagram, which i might add is very good... Cheers

Funky might Know wil PM him.....

That bolt holds the Koni insert inside the OEM shock body. There should be a locking washer on the bolt to stop it from shaking loose, there doesn't seem to be one there in the picture. The only way to tighten that bolt is to take the shock off the car unfortunately.

I would get it tightened up ASAP, its a critical bolt and would be unsafe if it works loose.

Have done....

Can't belive it thats going to be a good £300 by the time the've taken the shock off & re-done FRSU etc....

Will be talking to the garage who fitted them on Monday...

Thanks Funky

Should look like this:

Fan_Disc_Washer.jpg

Its been a while since I've looked at mine but will check it tomorrow, I'm pretty sure there is a washer like that on it.

Quick update rang garage they said they will look at the problem & have booked it in tommorow. They said regardless if it their fault or not all re-alignment will be done free of charge....:D

Scott murray has replied to this thread @21:43 as i just had an e-mail.

He posted a picture that i can view through my e-mail but there is nothing on this actual thread :confused:

Back