• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What makes the EP2 a vtec?

Dynax

The Babysitter
Just curious....

I know the EP2 is a SOHC Vtec....Does this mean that the vtec is entirely based on the ECU?

Was thinking about making the 1.4 a vtec, and i dont want anyone saying just buy a sport or a type-r....

Just wondering, is it something else? Or is it entirely ECU's and different maps changing?

VTEC is an extra set of lifters that are engaged at a set rpm to open the valves more and for longer. So VTEC is machanical.

ps - Just buy a sprt or a Type-R. :wink:

Vtec is mechanically operated and relies on Oil Pressure (thats why you cant Vtec when engine is cold)

Basically its a set of cams with a different profile that change over when it engages, this as stated above is donr by oil pressure.

Im not sure about the other Vtec systems in other Hondas but know this is how the Civic one works

Aye, but isnt it diff for the sport, as its only a single cam?

Yes, thanks for that mark :lol:

How easy / realistic do you think it is for me to vtec my 1.4?

VTEC isn't an extra camstaft. Its extra lobes and followers in the inlet camshaft that engage at a set rpm. :wink:

Dynax said:
Aye, but isnt it diff for the sport, as its only a single cam?

Yes, thanks for that mark :lol:

How easy / realistic do you think it is for me to vtec my 1.4?

Your getting confused mate. It's the same system. It can be used on a double cam engine or a single cam, just how wild the angles are and for how long the lobes hold open the valves dictates the power. Just the same way as a turbo producing power - it all depends on the level of boost.

In your engine it's just the single and the angles are no way near as wild as the ones in the K20A.

Neily03 said:
VTEC isn't an extra camstaft. Its extra lobes and followers in the inlet camshaft that engage at a set rpm. :wink:

Spot on.

As neily says it's not a new camshaft taking over, there are still only two camshafts (intake and exhaust) just it effectively changes the profile of the existing cams by a more aggressive lobe of the cam being used to open the valves further/longer.

I think I would be right in saying that the CTR is a "fully blown VTEC" engine with VTEC on the inlet and exhaust valves, with a SOHC VTEC there is only VTEC on inlet valves. Correct me if I'm wrong.

chippyleigh said:
I think I would be right in saying that the CTR is a "fully blown VTEC" engine with VTEC on the inlet and exhaust valves, with a SOHC VTEC there is only VTEC on inlet valves. Correct me if I'm wrong.

VTEC is on the inlet valves only on them all, including CTR, iirc.

Back