• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What oil should I use ?

I checked my oil today, and it's at the bottom dot, so i'm t hinking i have to top-up to half way.

What oil rating should i use ?

What brand would you recommend ?

So far i'm thinking i want a 5W-40 fully synthetic, the engine has done 2300 miles so far. Am i on the right track ?

Please help! buying oil tomorrow.

Cheers, lewis

If the car is new then it will most probably have semi-synthetic in, which is generally 10w/40.

If it is semi-systhetic, there is little point in topping up with fully-synthetic.

According to the manual you shouldn't change the oil until the 1st service. This is then the best time to change to fully synthetic.

I put in 5w/30 today, as that's what the halfords thingy said, and also the Honda manual stated that rating. I put in 500ml as a top up, it was on the bottom notch on the dip stick, now it's on the top notch. i think that should be fine, i will change over to mobil 1 fully synthetic at first service, i'm not sure what rating to use then, i suppose the 5w/30 will be okay.

i've only done 2300 odd miles so far!! and not a great deal of VTECing!!

that's a warning to check your oil regularly!

Back