• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What oil...?

...does the CTR come standard with? Or can anyone advise on what good oil to top up with? I've had my car for about 4 months, and I can see that the oil level has dropped till about half way between the top and bottom markers on the dipstick.

Don't want to drive her too hard, as I was told that once you VTEC with low oil level, you can run into some trouble.

BigRed said:
Most have 10W40 shell helix semi synth mate.

Depends on how many miles your car has done as they put a slightly different type of oil in after your first service if I recall correctly, something like 5W40 fully syn. My car is just under 30k miles and has been running 5W40 (Castrol) since about 12.5k miles.

R20190 said:
BigRed said:
Most have 10W40 shell helix semi synth mate.

Depends on how many miles your car has done as they put a slightly different type of oil in after your first service if I recall correctly, something like 5W40 fully syn. My car is just under 30k miles and has been running 5W40 (Castrol) since about 12.5k miles.

My dealer has bunged in 10W40 semi from day 1 until now at 29k. I asked them and they said full synth is an option but is not necessary on the CTR.

Hope this helps you mate.

Personally I'd always use fully synth. I changed the oil in my CTR after about 1000 miles and went straight to fully synth. Myself, I use Castrol Formula RS (0W-40) but this has recently been replaced with Catrol Edge Sport (also 0W-40).

CTR said:
Personally I'd always use fully synth. I changed the oil in my CTR after about 1000 miles and went straight to fully synth. Myself, I use Castrol Formula RS (0W-40) but this has recently been replaced with Catrol Edge Sport (also 0W-40).

Doesn't this just mean that your dealer recommends it whereas others recommend Shell Helix or some other similarly specified oil?

I think that nobody can ever give a definitive answer here because Honda themselves leave it to the dealers to make the choice.

BigRed said:
CTR said:

Doesn't this just mean that your dealer recommends it whereas others recommend Shell Helix or some other similarly specified oil?

I think that nobody can ever give a definitive answer here because Honda themselves leave it to the dealers to make the choice.

AFAIK mate dealers used to use helix ultra but Honda now use this..

It has been the case in at least three dealers I know about.

BigRed said:
CTR said:

More than likely mate. I posted up the pics for people who are really unsure of what to put in and would rather stick to what Honda recommend. It's obviously up to you as an individual what oil you choose to use. Myself, I'll be sticking with Castrol RS/Edge Sport products.

CTR said:
BigRed said:
CTR said:

More than likely mate. I posted up the pics for people who are really unsure of what to put in and would rather stick to what Honda recommend. It's obviously up to you as an individual what oil you choose to use. Myself, I'll be sticking with Castrol RS/Edge Sport products.

Fair one mate, tbh I have been toying with the idea of full synth but have been put off with stories of excessive oil usage. I nearly never have to top up with semi 10W40.

Does yours enjoy a drink?

BigRed said:
CTR said:
BigRed said:
CTR said:

Fair one mate, tbh I have been toying with the idea of full synth but have been put off with stories of excessive oil usage. I nearly never have to top up with semi 10W40.

Does yours enjoy a drink?

Can't say I've noticed with the one I've got now. I've changed the oil in this one 3 times in 9000 miles. My sceond CTR did enjoy a drink however. That was a really thirsty car for oil. I remember changing the oil and within like 2000 miles there was a noticeable drop in VTEC engagement. Checked the oil level and it had dropped considerably. I even got underneath just to check it wasn't leaking :shock:

Didn't really care about that car though TBH. It was a replacement from the insurance and I was just using it as a stop-gap till the Premiers were released.

I wouldnt recommend using 0W 40 on a vtec engine, its too thin.

I would recommend the Silkolene 5w 40, i experienced that my engine was much smoother that using 10w 40 Magnetic

Awesam said:
I wouldnt recommend using 0W 40 on a vtec engine, its too thin.

I would recommend the Silkolene 5w 40, i experienced that my engine was much smoother that using 10w 40 Magnetic

Funnily enough I am running a GB on this :idea: 8)

When i bought my car reasently the bloke said he put fully synthetic oil in, does that mean i have to keep that? If so would it be 5-40w or 10-40w? :oops:

Back