• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Whats Better 0-30 Or 5-40

Last year about this time i purchased a major service kit from cox motor parts. The oil supplied was 0-30, i have been reading members saying the fully synthetic 5-40 is better all rounder. I rang honda and they recomended the 0-30 and thats what they use.
I must admit the oil has started to burn of as it gets to the end of its life but it has done 11 months before it hit half a tank.
Pluss not many store have in stock where you can walk in and buy 0-30 oil. When i ask for it they ask if i have a old mercedes and laugh when i says its a Type R for some reason.
I did not change the gear box oil of the brake fluid last year so i still have them to change as i got them in the kit. i just did the breaks also and totaly forgotten could have killed 2 birds there.

0-30 is better for cold start lubrication, but it also burns off much faster. 5w40 is the preference for most forum members, although there are quite a few 0w40 and 0w30 people too!!

I used 0-40 last year but it did seem to drink this oil. Last service I switched to 5-40 and it hasn't used hardly any of it.

Quick newbish question - Put a litre of 5w-30 in my car yesterday, still needs about 3-4ls put in. Noticed that most people are using 5w-40 instead, I take it is ok to mix them?

Quick newbish question - Put a litre of 5w-30 in my car yesterday, still needs about 3-4ls put in. Noticed that most people are using 5w-40 instead, I take it is ok to mix them?

Mixing different oils shouldn't be a problem since you have only put 1L, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Obviously you do so at your own risk, if it were me I would drain the oil out and start again.

Back