• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

whats it actually like to have a jsrc or other supercharged honda

Kas

i know there's loads of threads on superchargers and im a newbie on this site but i couldnt find the answer to my question after a search so i decided to post.

I was having a convo recently a decided the jsrc was the best way to go for me, i only want 300 ish bhp and want my car to be usable daily.However after my last convo i was a bit put off and told superchargers are rubbish but then i kept thinking if they were why would so many people have k20 supercharged. So Id just like opions from those who have a supercharged ep3 or dc5, what are the like to drive,mpg etc

Only thing i dont like about the superchargers is that the power is constant as id like the car to be normal at low rev's but i can deal with that and having read a lot of posts it seems there becoming old news and turbos are the new way to go,However i dont want insane power and a turbo's out of my budget.

Ill reply better later, but, from experience, you can have twisty fun when it's supercharged.

Not just straight line.

And the power isn't constant either.

Not disputing that Stoo, it's a different fun though and not all enjoy, hence the question.

Put simply the SC builds boost with the revs as its belt driven direct from the engine. You only ever reach peak boost when you hit the rev limiter as the engine is turning at its limit. So to get the best out of it you need to drive at the top end of the Revs. Now I had a Rotrex SC running 370bhp, and its great bit of kit, I honestly would say if you want to go Forced Induction, a Supercharger is a good option, as the car behaves in a similar way to a Naturally Aspirated engine, only its quite a bit quicker.

Now being completely honest, I got rid of the SC, not because it wasn't good, or I didnt like it, but because I got bored of it. You will get used to the power delivery, and you will get used to driving it and you will want more power, instead of sitting up the Subaru's arse, you will want to get past it. To get more power from a SC you have limited options, you can change the pulley wheel, but again this is limited, and Im not sure you can do this with a JRSC, or you can go for a engine rebuild, forged parts, change the compression ratio, but this is expensive.

Now when I ditched the SC, I went Turbo, and in all fairness I wish I had just gone with a turbo in the first place and saved myself a lot of money. Even on the smaller set ups, the benefits of a turbo over a SC are numerous. The turbo uses exhaust gases to build boost, so its much more tuneable to get the required power. You are not relying on the belt to build boost, so instead of building boost with the Rev's, you get peak boost instantly resulting in more power and a faster car.

Now with a Turbo set up, if you want more power in the future, its just a case of taking it and re-tuning it, possibly you may need to buy a bigger turbo, but if you buy a bigger one in the first place this isn't needed. Also with a turbo, with the right ECU you can set the boost by gear, so you can have low boost in lower gears to get you rolling without losing traction, and high boost in the higher gears to void your bowel.

Basically, and this is the point of my mindless ramblings, a SC is set, you cannot alter what it can do, it forces air into the engine at a set rate. A turbo can be set up, and adjusted, it can be altered to create more or less boost, or delivery. Its just a better all round option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just the Kpro, but there are other ECU's now available that do the same thing. K100 is set.

S/C all day. No lag, and despite whats been previously said, you don't need to rev the nads off her to make rapid progress.

JRSC build boost differently to a Rotrex. Research what would be best for you.

thanks for the reply tom its really put things into a new perspective for me. As i initially said i do only want 300 ish but then i agree that i'll probably get bored of it after a while and at that point i'd sell to buy a different car that comes from the factory turbo'd. but then i wouldn't know what would replace the dc5 with as I've had a fair amount of other cars such as s3 and that wasn't fast enough neither was my 335d but i never fidled with these cars so maybe thats why.

I'm more of a straight line thrill kinda guy but i do go around a few country roads when i get the chance. I guess my question to myself is how long I'm planning on keeping the car and if its worth going all out with the turbo but I've already gathered a few things for the s/c build as the cars being built from scratch but guess these could be used towards a turbo build except for my manifold.

S/C all day. No lag, and despite whats been previously said, you don't need to rev the nads off her to make rapid progress.

JRSC build boost differently to a Rotrex. Research what would be best for you.

How does the JRSC build boost differently than a Rotrex, they are both belt driven units and do exactly the same thing.

Granted they are different units, but they build boost in exactly the same way. They both use a belt driven compressor to push air into the motor. So increasing the motor speed will increase the amount of air being forced into the engine. So you will only achieve peak boost at the motors limit.

I would have the street turbo kit from tdi if it wasnt £5k! Think the Rotrex looks the nuts in the bay too and at a affordable price!

thats it i dont really want to put 5k into a dc5 for a turbo. stil appreciate any comments regarding a jrsc itself as i actually want to know how good or bad these are and what it is like to have on a car even if a turbo is a better

A JRSC is a fit and forget SC. Once it's fitted you will never have to look at it again. They are pretty good for the money, second hand they can be got for less than £2k, then it's a day's labour to fit and map. They don't make massive power 300-320 is the usual figures to see from it. There are in my opinion better SC's out there, but if your only looking at get 300bhp then the JRSC is perfectly capable.

I agree to a certain point. Yes the turbo will give you more power. But the sc is a much much better drive. The jrsc is certainly the most reliable way to go, it's pretty much fit and forget. I have the jrsc on my ep3. It's currently sitting at 296bhp but with a chargecooler and smaller pulley sitting waiting to be installed I'm looking to get around 330-340 bhp. This sort of power out on the roads combined with the right suspension set up is unreal. It really depends on what you want your car for. You really need to have this clear from the outset so you are not waiting money in the future.

Back