• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Wheel/Brake Squeaking

• Thread starter Deleted member 22.11.21
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22.11.21

Have developed a squeak which I believe is coming from my drivers side front wheel, its only up to about 40mph ish and sounds like a bird chirping, goes away under braking and only seems to be present when the wheels are straight. Am I right in thinking this will be brake pad related? I will be having a closer inspection on my days off in the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
They sometimes squeak when the pads are low and the wear indicators start making contact with the disc. It could also be the caliper binding. Check if that wheel is noticeably warmer than the other, particularly if you have done a journey which is light on the brakes.

I'll have a check later, pads are getting changed on pay day so hopefully it's that!

Sorry for a slight hijack, as I don't feel it needs a new thread, but yesterday I started getting very similar sounds coming from my drivers side rear wheel.

Caliper was replaced last year, it's been fine since. But now sounds like a rattling squeak constantly except when I turn left. More noticeable when I brake. I've had a poke around but can't see what's causing it. I managed to get a recording of the sound. Ita a lot louder in real life, but comes out well on the recording

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0tmIcM12otm

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mine squeaked for ages, went away once i fitted new discs and pads then came back about 300 miles later. just left it as it is now

I've always been told brake squeaking, if its not caused by wear indicators or whatever, can be cured by putting copper grease on the shims and back of the pads to stop them rattling etc. if you've changed them yourselves did you remember to put a little on? (especially saying rattly squeak)

Yea i change my pads myself and always copper grease them. This isnt a squeaky brake, its more a vibrating squeak. I' e checked the pads, they are low, but still meat on them.

I'll look into changing them.

Back