• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

wheels and nuts

Hi guys

I'm a type r noob, just bought an ep3 black, 04 facelift. It's in great standard form, but i will be adding a few bits.
First up will be a set of alloys.

I want something light weight, in either white, bronze or gold.

Looking at rota grids, or lenso samurais, but i'm not sure about the nuts....

Will the original nuts be ok, or will i need thinner nuts and a different wrench? This also makes it harder to find the correct lock nuts.
I had the same issue with the rotas i have on my mr2 (which is now for sale)

Also does 7.5" wides fit without rubbing? 17" diameter of course :)

Adam

You'll be fine with 7.5 on standard suspension. I believe you only get problems if you start dropping it a bit. Try to stick to as close to OEM offset as you can and it should be fine for inner clearance as well.

You will need different nuts. OEM nuts are only designed to fit OEM alloys and aftermarket alloys need tapered nuts, i.e. the ends that meet the wheels are a different shape.

I've got 7.5" width rota's on my car with a 45ET and don't suffer any issues. As loxy said on standard suspension you'll be fine.

Might be worth noting, you'll be better off with 215/40 R17 tyres with 7.5" alloys. If you use the standard size 205/45 you'll have little to no rim protection, the 215/40's give you a bit of rim protection. It doesn't affect your speedo much as the diameter of the tyre remains extremely close to OEM

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys

In that case can anyone reccomend good looking nuts?

I had black rota ones on my mr2 but they got shredded the metal was that soft!!

Ok so i've now narrowed the options down to these:

ALLWHEELOPTIONS.jpg
[/IMG]

Thoughts? Only chosen lightweight lensos, rotas and inovits as i don't want to ruin the cars speed and handling.

I'm a photoshop geek / god so will be hard at work 'shopping these onto my nwb ctr - photos to follow soon....

I think it's between these (phooshops):

civicwithdrrwhites.jpg
[/IMG]

civicwithgridgolds.jpg
[/IMG]

civicwithgridallgolds.jpg
[/IMG]

hmm choices choices. I'm never good at deciding....

narrowed it down... lol

i had rota GT3s on my old EK - i didn't really like them that much in the flesh but maybe i could have had skinnier tyres on them.

The bottom photoshop looks the best but I think you'll find that you have 'chopped some genuine wheels on there as the spokes on the Rotas aren't curved...

Talking of OEM wheel nuts, does anybody know a good place to source different coloured ball ended nuts for the ep3 OEM wheels?

Sorry for the hijack dude but I've bought a set of these..

005836.jpg

Any idea what type of wheel nuts I will need for them??

Cheers.

Back