• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

When i slow down, my brakes " squeal "

Mine where fitted nearly 3000 miles ago, so im guessing what im hearing could be something different as it does sound like you have the problem described by neilly03

HHmm, how would i resolve this or atleast how would i check ? Sorry to be dumb :-/ what should i do next to try solve this ?

am I missing a black shim here (APEC front brake pads))??? got three black shims, and 2 silver metal shims.

and are these shims interchangable with other pads? ie can put on DS2500

My DS2500 are squealing a lot, and I heard it can be due to the properties of pad, but also heard fitting shims would help alot.

Can I use these shims from APEC pads and place directly on? (one shim missing though!)

IMG-20120408-00075.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the shims will fit any pad as long as it's the correct pads for the car. You need 4 plastic shims and 2 metal ones. Every pad has a plastic shim and then the pads on the piston side have a metal shim inbetween the plastic shim and the piston.

Yes the shims will fit any pad as long as it's the correct pads for the car. You need 4 plastic shims and 2 metal ones. Every pad has a plastic shim and then the pads on the piston side have a metal shim inbetween the plastic shim and the piston.

Cheers mate, given the fact the DS2500 currently does not have an outer shim or any shims at all (ie I can see the DS2500 logo on it), would it be an issue if fitted it with one plastic shim missing??

ie the squealing stems/stopped by the metal shims??

what do these plastics shims do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers mate, given the fact the DS2500 currently does not have an outer shim or any shims at all (ie I can see the DS2500 logo on it), would it be an issue if fitted it with one plastic shim missing??

ie the squealing stems/stopped by the metal shims??

what do these plastics shims do?

The plastic shims stop the squealing, the metal ones are just to stop the pistons chewing up the plastic.

Another way to prevent squealing to apply copper grease to the rear on the pads.

Back