• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Which brake pads for FN2 CTR

Hi guys,

After 10 awesome months of trouble free driving in my FN2, it finally has its first problem. Dont think its a big one though. Squeaking quite a bit when i brake which drives me mad and im guessing its in need of new brake pads and maybe discs.

What pads can you guys recommend?

Cheers :)

Squeaking probably means they are down to the wear indicators.

If the discs are ok now they soon won't be as the wear indicators will start scoring the discs.

I had OEM discs and Ferodo DS2500s on mine. Cracking setup for normal road use.

If you put some braided lines and some RBF600 fluid on/in as well you'll have a much better pedal feel and a bit less fade. ;)

Cheers for the advice mate!
Im a bit of a novice when it comes to this stuff, do i need to replace the wear indicators then?

No worries bud.

No, the wear indicators are in the pad itself. I'm not 100% sure whether the indicators on the OEM pads can be transferred onto the DS2500s, whether they are on the shims or not or if the DS2500s come with them. The indicators are there as a back-up if you don't get them checked or they were overlooked.

When the pad wears down to a certain level they can then come into contact with the disc and that makes the noise.

disk-brake-pad-405.jpg

Wording probably wasn't spot on above. When the pads are low enough for the wear indicators to be squealing, the rivets on the pads can soon become exposed and it is that which scores the discs.

i.e.

16022008505.jpg

If the discs aren't scored and don't have a lip on the edge they should be OK. If you do have a lip on the edge this can be ground off. Any scoring or lip will just tear through your new pads, so if in doubt best to replace the discs too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quality, cheers pal!

Another thing ive learnt off of here! How much do ya reckon honda will want for oem discs? Typical that its after xmas!

Just checked above and you didn't say whether it is front of back. Ferodo DS2500 pads for the front, but OEM are absolutely fine for the back.

Front discs are £120.38 for the pair and rear are £110.06 for the pair.

You might get some cheaper on ebay to be fair, but I've had a look and there aren't any Honda Original ones on at the moment.

Brembo discs are supposed to be OK like for like. A few people on Civinfo reckon the EP3 discs fit the FN2. In which case:

Front - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CIV...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2567268d19

Honda do do fixed priced repairs. http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/partsandservicing/fixedpricerepairs/

If you decide to stay OEM, it is £250 fitted for the front pads and discs, and £250 fitted for the rear pads and discs. You can definitely get them done cheaper than that though.

Grooved are fine, stay away from drilled as they tend to crack.

Most of your braking force is done by the front brakes, so putting grooved on the back is really a bit of overkill.

I'm not 100% sure about EBC, they do seem to have a good rep but a lot of people don't rate their pads for Type Rs. I know that people have used their disks on the 8th Gen Civics and haven't had any complaints, so they can't be all that bad.

With it being the rears, go for the plain old solid discs and you'll be OK. I'm running solid discs on the back and I've got the Stoptech Big Brake Kit on the front. It stops just fine! :)

I use Cosworth Streetmasters with or discs on my FN2 and I find them great for normal street driving

Hi Loxy, I have been looking at getting DS2500s for road use, but I do 3/4 trackdays per year. I just worry that they will be too hard for road use?!
And how much do you think it will all cost if I change fluid and braided lines too?

Thanks for your advice.

Squeaking probably means they are down to the wear indicators.

If the discs are ok now they soon won't be as the wear indicators will start scoring the discs.

I had OEM discs and Ferodo DS2500s on mine. Cracking setup for normal road use.

If you put some braided lines and some RBF600 fluid on/in as well you'll have a much better pedal feel and a bit less fade. ;)

They aren't too hard for road use, Had them on my last ep3 and they were great pads, I would recommend.
Although I will be trying some Dixcel pads on this one

Hi Loxy, I have been looking at getting DS2500s for road use, but I do 3/4 trackdays per year. I just worry that they will be too hard for road use?!
And how much do you think it will all cost if I change fluid and braided lines too?

Thanks for your advice.

Did you get them all changed mate? How much was it? I'm also looking at getting the ds2500 pads along with new fluid within a few months. Cheers for the recommendation loxy

Hands down FERODO racing pads have been the best although they cost.

I recently purchased brembos which I am very pleased with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just installed project Mu's. Good reviews all around.

Low dust and squeal, good bite from cold and out perform standard pads.

Back