• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Which brakes for EP3?

Hi Guys,

I go through brakes so quickly when using standard "solid" disks. I now have a noise coming from my nsf wheel which I suspect to be my brakes again! So I am looking at possibly using drilled and grooved disks... yeah ok I know these will eat pads but in general it should stop me from warping my brakes so quickly as the heat can disperse quicker?!?!

Looking at 2 different brands, Brembo or Mintex what would you go for. I know there is better (more expensive brands) out there, but this is not a race car and I know that these will still stop me fast enough.

The main questions are...

Drilled/grooved or just drilled?
Mintex or Brembo?

Calum

The OE quality discs with grooves/drilled holes are usually gash and pointless and will offer no difference.

What pads are you using?

Goodness knows how you are managing to warp discs at the rate you imply as the OEM solids are pretty good discs in all honesty!

The Brembo/Mintex cheapo grooved/drilled won't solve your issue, you'd need to splash the cash for decent discs rather than buying those in my opinion.

My last 3 sets of disks I have warped when braking from about 140... so not exactly at standard speeds. Thats why I am looking at ways of getting the heat out of the disk. This last set of pads were EBC with OEM disks. I need a set of disks which can cope with braking from this speed.

I got 4 disc's grooved and drilled with mintex pads all round off Ebay for 150 British pounds! not going to lie there excellent stop in half the distance of oem ones and for 150 bar you can stick brembo's up your **** :twisted:

I got 4 disc's grooved and drilled with mintex pads all round off Ebay for 150 British pounds! not going to lie there excellent stop in half the distance of oem ones and for 150 bar you can stick brembo's up your **** :twisted:

Some good words there sunshine! Cheers for that.

My last 3 sets of disks I have warped when braking from about 140... so not exactly at standard speeds. Thats why I am looking at ways of getting the heat out of the disk. This last set of pads were EBC with OEM disks. I need a set of disks which can cope with braking from this speed.

It's not a track car and you are braking from 140? Drag strip?

Don't know what you are doing then as plenty of people track EP3's with OEM discs and decent pads and have no problems. And track takes it's toll on discs/pads alot more than anything else will as the car is constantly on the drivers limit of ability.

:lol: OK.

It's not a track car and you are braking from 140? Drag strip?

Don't know what you are doing then as plenty of people track EP3's with OEM discs and decent pads and have no problems. And track takes it's toll on discs/pads alot more than anything else will as the car is constantly on the drivers limit of ability.

I am very heavy footed on the brakes. I use to do a lot of racing but due to braking my back I stopped, now I coach racing drivers for a living. So its kind of embedded in me when braking to try make the pads meet each other through the disks lol. As for slowing down from 140, thats just a generalisation... ps I have never been on a drag strip lol!

wasnt me complaining fella, was the missus. Went and smashed the living **** out of the car on the way home, so made up for the poor turn out :lol:

haha sounded nice coming in mine should be all done engine wise by next meet hopefully the snow will hold off till then.

I think the fix is for you to stop treating your brakes like they are your b1tch :lol:

If you're training race drivers, then I think it's everyone else isn't using them properly to realise how poor the brakes are :lol:

I think the fix is for you to stop treating your brakes like they are your b1tch :lol:

If you're training race drivers, then I think it's everyone else isn't using them properly to realise how poor the brakes are :lol:

LOL, I like this post haha!

If any of you guys out there want to get involved with some racing, or even try it out yourself... have a look at what we do http://www.cjmmotorsport.com see what you think and get in touch with me that way!

Cheers people, I have ordered some new brakes (drilled/grooved) now I've got the bug and I feel like getting some coilovers lol!

Are you propperly allowing the brakes to cool down? Doing a propper cool down lap where you dont use the brakes, then as you come to a stop crawl and turn the engine off and release the clutch whilst still in gear to come to a stop? <- The way I was tought to do it by my track instructor.

I find it hard to understand how you are having such trouble. My Prelude carries a bit more weight than the EP3 but I can use EBC blank discs with Hawk HP+ pads with no problems (apart from heat cracks in the disc after months of use).

Back