• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Which head unit and door speakers?

Hi chaps,

I'm not exactly thrilled with the sound quality in my ep3 and would like a head unit with an aux I put for Spotify etc. I'd like to upgrade the head unit and door speakers to something a bit better.

Don't want to spend the earth so not sure on either single or double din, comes down to price really.

Any one have any recommendations? I'd like it to fit in the dash nicely and all in cost under 250, maybe 200 max as I don't drive it much or far really!

Any help would be great,

Cheers, Mark.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

If you were an iPhone user I would say Alpine, but seeing as you're Android have you considered the Pioneer App Radios? Double din unit, screen mirroring etc.

Speakers wise, I'd probably go Focal components with a small sub. Modest 4 channel amp, bridge the rear for the sub. Soundproofing the doors makes a massive difference on the Civic, worth considering too.

A sub etc is massive overkill! I drive 5 mins to work and back most the time!

I'd be happy with a basic unit and speakers. I have tweeter mounts already on the mirror back bits, so some bigger speakers with adaptor rings and a head unit will do, are the app radios expensive? They sound like decent bits of kit! I'm after bang for buck more than anything.

Does anyone else have anything reasonably cheap and functional? Links would be good!

I bought some cheap ass coaxial edge speakers and fitting kit £25 and a kenwood double din.
Improvement over stock - just depends how loud you want to listen to it?

I would recommend some components though and amplify them if you want decent quality and like the option of more volume.
Then an underseat active sub - I know you say its overkill but makes a lot of difference.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kenwood-D...519?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d5aede87f

This is the head unit I have although I bought new, cheap and cheerful can also get external mic for Bluetooth calls

I thought I said a budget, about 250 tops. Ideally 200. Not fussed about loud, my Mrs audi a4 sounds so much better, just want something with a bit more clarity/depth? Mid range components and a head unit should do it, really not fussed by subs and amps etc..

Thanks for the info though fellas, I'll have a look at those links once little one is in bed.

Ah yes, so you did. Apologies.

Does that budget include fitting accessories? Speaker rings (essential imo), wiring adapters etc? I can sort you out a fascia adapter for postage if you need. :)

Umm, yeah ideally all in. I'm a truck/van technician, so wiring and fitting will be fine. I was hoping there would be a mid range go to set of speakers and head unit! I know nothing of audio equipment etc, so wouldn't know where to look and what brands to go for!

Are there any better makes for fascia adapters? Do they make ones that fit well and match, I usually avoid aftermarket ones as they usually fit poorly and look rubbish!

I'll do some research on components for about a ton, anywhere to buy mdf speaker rings that fit? What size speakers do I want? 6.5" I'll have look at double dins in the mean time.

Good stuff, it's all straight forward enough on the Civic. Drop the under dash panels, pop off the gear knob and remove the lower panel, undo the retaining nuts for the top part and pull from the bottom. Unplug cables and you're away. Door cards are simple enough too.

You've got two choices for fascias. Autoleads and Connects2. The latter is toss. Avoid. The one I've got spare is Autoleads, which I sprayed and colour matched to the dash silver. Couple of small runs in it, but it looks much better than the crap you get from stock. Shaved a bit of the plastic off so it sits flush too.

Components in the price range you're talking about you're looking at Focal or Alpine or Infinity as best bets. Head units go with features and brand preference at that price point. I'd be going middle tier Alpine.

How about this?

Components: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-spg-17cs £80
Head unit: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/players-inc-ipod-control/alpine-cde-175r £120

Leaving you £50 for a bit of soundproofing around the door speaker holes, decent speaker wire, and harness adapters etc.

You should ideally amp components, but I've had those ones above running off the head unit in the past and they sound decent enough.

I have the Alpine CDE-170RM which is the model below the one scruffy linked to. I got it as it had the orange backlight and it matches the Civics dash light perfectly. It has worked very well with my MP3 jukebox and USB memory card. The sound is pretty good for me and it has plenty of sound options to tweek to you're liking.

I expect the Alpine CDE-175R will be the same if not a bit better as my headunit. It will handle a decent set of components without an amp as long as you don't get very high watt components.

TBH scruffy's speakers and headunit will be a good affordable package for you.

Ah crap, now I've been looking at touchscreen ones for about 250! They seem to do so much more. Though I can't understand why they all boast tons of iPhone connection options, but android is basically aux only?! Wtf?

Kenwood ddx-4025dab looks pretty good, but seems a lot for what I will use it for! The Internet is dangerous when you're a magpie who likes shiny things. Haha.

I'll keep a level head and not do the usual, Another 50 quid and you can get this, over and over!

I'm thinking of ordering tonight if anyone has any input? Or a better suggestion for 160 notes?

Cheers

Sorry chaps, one last question!

Just ordered this and the speakers linked at the start of the thread, do I need separate speaker cable or will the components kit come with some?

Back