• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Which Type R should I get?

I'm back on this again. After serious consideration I'm still confused as to which to go for.

I came up with this:

My GF has a new Fiesta Zetec S which is a decent town car. We use one car between the two of us on a day to day basis (we work near each other so car pool).

Between the two cars we will likely do 6-7,000 miles a year.

I want my car to be a fun car which can be tracked, not sure how often I will track it but I'd like it to be possible (reason I ruled the TT out!).

For these reasons I've began to lean from the EP to the EK9 as I get the red interior I really want and a bit of street 'cool' exclusivity. Plus people seem to go on about how the UKDM EP3 isn't a real Type R.

Anyone have any more thoughts? The main issue for me is if an old car is worth new car money!

An EP3 can be tracked very well ;)

To quote a lad on another forum:

EP3's just dont do it for me. The lack of an LSD and decent power for the weight really makes me feel they dont justify the Type R status. By giving the JDM EP3 these vital statistics AND giving it championship white paint it displays to me that Honda were aiming at a non-Type R market in the UK. Unfair maybe?
When i was at Knockhill last there was an EP3 running there. It seemed to be driven by a typical EP3 owner, too. On the way down the A90 he seemed to tag along with us, driving up our rear bumpers and trying to egg us on for a race.
Out on track it looked a pretty un-interesting drive. Never carrying enough speed through the corners. Watching it from the sidelines there was heaps of tyre squeal at the hairpin and then the un-interesting tame noise of the K20 as he pulled out and only hitting Vtec just before the pit entrance.
Had a look around the car, it was completely standard.
As Jay has said, Wayne, it seems silly to spend your money on something just now just to get into the game, ye know? It seems that you have your sights set highly for later purchases too, with the thought of getting an S2000 or M3.
Bare in mind that you can buy an AP1 S2K now for ~£7k, and E36 M3's for about the same amount of cash. E36's being just as quick as the E46, but both still having pants braking power. EK9's can also be had for £6k, easily.
Once again, it all boils down to what your using the car for. The EP3 has been the biggest selling "Type R" in the UK, for good reason. It's a good enough looking car, comfortable enough to drive every day, cheap to maintain and cheap enough to buy new. So if its a commuter car your after then why not i guess? But there are plenty other cars i'd have first.
If its a real Type R experience your after i'd not waste your time on one. EK9's and DC2's are where its at, but of course i would say that, i own an Integra!

Ignoring the bit about the M3/S2000 as they arn't an option at this point in time...

To quote a lad on another forum:

EP3's just dont do it for me. The lack of an LSD and decent power for the weight really makes me feel they dont justify the Type R status. By giving the JDM EP3 these vital statistics AND giving it championship white paint it displays to me that Honda were aiming at a non-Type R market in the UK. Unfair maybe?
When i was at Knockhill last there was an EP3 running there. It seemed to be driven by a typical EP3 owner, too. On the way down the A90 he seemed to tag along with us, driving up our rear bumpers and trying to egg us on for a race.
Out on track it looked a pretty un-interesting drive. Never carrying enough speed through the corners. Watching it from the sidelines there was heaps of tyre squeal at the hairpin and then the un-interesting tame noise of the K20 as he pulled out and only hitting Vtec just before the pit entrance.
Had a look around the car, it was completely standard.
As Jay has said, Wayne, it seems silly to spend your money on something just now just to get into the game, ye know? It seems that you have your sights set highly for later purchases too, with the thought of getting an S2000 or M3.
Bare in mind that you can buy an AP1 S2K now for ~£7k, and E36 M3's for about the same amount of cash. E36's being just as quick as the E46, but both still having pants braking power. EK9's can also be had for £6k, easily.
Once again, it all boils down to what your using the car for. The EP3 has been the biggest selling "Type R" in the UK, for good reason. It's a good enough looking car, comfortable enough to drive every day, cheap to maintain and cheap enough to buy new. So if its a commuter car your after then why not i guess? But there are plenty other cars i'd have first.
If its a real Type R experience your after i'd not waste your time on one. EK9's and DC2's are where its at, but of course i would say that, i own an Integra!

Ignoring the bit about the M3/S2000 as they arn't an option at this point in time...

So his experience of it was by standing at the side of a track watching ...hmmmmm.

Dont get me wrong EK9's are great cars, I just wouldnt personally spend the amount of money they go for with the age they are.

If you are seriously considering an EK9, have a look on EK9.org there is loads and loads of info on there and the guys are really helpful.

Not sure where abouts you live but you are always welcome to come as a passenger on a HOT day. Usually pax laps are free to and we get all sorts of Hondas coming along.

I've spoken on EK9.org and had some really good feedback there, obviously the majority of it is EK support but a few really good posts weighing up both cars too.

If your JDM fits into my £6k budget then so be it :D

I just want the red interior. Tempted to save for the anniversary edition.

I had a mk5 zetec s really nice nippy car before i got the type r vtec all the way baby!
dont get a vw lupo gti my best mate had one the 6speed newer version he went all over the country for one a great car really fast light car.
good points 125bhp in a match box, xeons take people by surprise:)
Bad points under steers quite bad and bad body roll with it being so slim,
the worst of all the gear box! he had it fixed about 2 times costing ££££
he finally disposed without a sale if you no what a mean as it broke again.
Stick to the type r mine has been solid so far touch wood combined driving 30-35mpg

I'm in exactly the same boat as you at the moment. I've got my heart set on a CTR EP3 and have been putting the pennies aside for a little while now.

I spoke to a fella yesterday who works at a Nissan garage (bear with me, I promise it's all relevant!). He sold both my sisters a car each in the last few months so he's gotten to know the family. Basically, I told him the spec I am looking for and most importantly my budget and asked him to keep an eye out at the auctions and across the networks etc. As an example, he saw a CTR at auction a few weeks back - 60,000 NHB and air con. Went for £4700. I've told him to be on the look out for me.

My plan is basically to let him do the hard work and cash in on the fact that I will also be getting a warranty and therefore some peace of mind through the sale. Being the kind of fella he is, the car will be serviced and valleted before I get it and if anything goes wrong inside of a year, he will be sorting it for me.

Sounds like you are sorted for that mate. Nice ones seem to be pretty low on the ground.

I know if I went EP I'd want a silver pre-facelift with AC. What sort of mileage should I be looking for? Budget of £6k..

Back