• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Whining sound between 2000-2100 RPM

Hello everybody,

First post here :)

I bought a EP3 last friday and I really love it! It's my first car and since I was 13 I've dreamed about owning a Type-R one day.

Now there's only two things that bother me:

1. The startup feels kind of "slow" if you know what I mean. Could it be my car battery or is it normal?
2. There's a whining sound between 2000-2100 RPM! It really annoys me because it is really loud. I THINK it's from the exhaust, what do you guys think?

Here's a video with the engine start and the whining sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xJqOPcgCEA

Thanks!

YaKoStar

Slowness in the turnover sounds like the battery.

Whining sounds like something vibrating at a high pitch.

Okay guys. Thanks for your replies.

Also, yesterday I heard a weird LOUD rattling noise from the engine at around 5300-5500 rpm, twice. Only twice, then it disappeared. What could it be? Damn, I love this car.. I hope there isn't any faults with my engine :( I read somewhere that it could be the heatshield?

Driveshaft heatshield is 2-3k rpm usually, sounds similar to your video - mine sounded a little *heavier* rattle than yours though.

I though it sounded like its got a bit of a slight blow, could need a new backbox gasket?

I will look into it in the morning. The engine sounds are whats freaking me out right now ... It came twice right out of nowhere , i rarely drive at high rpm but this was the first time this happened ..

You'll need to take the I-VTEC cover off to see what is underneath.

Post a pic of what you see. ;)

Looks like the previous owner made attempts to stop rattle. This plastic plate rattles off the manifold at low revs bout 2.5k
My civic is 10yr old now, she makes many different noises. Have someone rev the car whilst stationary and listen round the car

Just remove the cover and throw it in the bin (or keep it for when you sell). That's what I did and I've not missed it.

Back